ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quick advice needed ssd upgrade as primrary

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hanna deanQuick advice needed ssd upgrade as primrary
by on May 6, 2016 at 8:58:40 am

hi my ssd drive has arrived and its 500gb now currently in my pc i have 1tb primrary but 439gb has been filled , what should i do please advise.

1: should i install the ssd and set it as primrary and restore all 439gb from old hdd.
2: or should i use use as secandary drive as after effecs cache.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Quick advice needed ssd upgrade as primrary
by on May 6, 2016 at 1:20:20 pm

If you got this SSD for After Effects AND you run the newest version, you use it as the AE cache. Use yhe existing hard drive as the system drive -- OS and applications. It wouldn't hurt to have an additional hard drive for user files.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

hanna deanRe: Quick advice needed ssd upgrade as primrary
by on May 6, 2016 at 4:15:26 pm

when if i clone my hdd which is 300gb size and then once windows boots from ssd shift large files over to other hdd ? then il have windows on ssd and all after effects etc., wil this be ok ?

i will minimize my ssd to 200gb and leave rest to cache til i get another ssd wil this work , i only work on short clips it dont require more then 200gb as far as i have used

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2016 at 4:32:09 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 6, 2016 at 4:37:31 pm

NO !!!! Did you not read what I wrote?

USE THE SSD FOR THE AFTER EFFECTS DISK CACHE. You can also put user files on it if you want, but its primary purpose should be for the AE Cache.

USE THE EXISTING HARD DRIVE FOR YOUR OS AND APPLICATIONS. You're already using it for that purpose, so you can't screw it up!

If your existing hard drive is filling up, get another hard drive for your user files.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2016 at 6:42:15 pm

thanks alot dave, yes am going to do what you told me , i am ordering same capacity tomorrow , and then il have 1 for primary and 1 for cache and others for storage.

just wanted to say if i used 300gb then the remaining gb is not enough for cache is it , on this hdd afer effects setting i set cache limit to 98gb to the folder , highest it reached 100gb i never had 150gb or over

Return to posts index

by on May 6, 2016 at 6:43:05 pm

Since i will use this ssd internally and for cache , will after effects render in real time ? wil it be faster

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Quick advice needed ssd upgrade as primrary
by on May 6, 2016 at 7:08:01 pm

The cache may make some things render faster, it may not. It all depends on how you work. It certainly speeds some things up as you're working!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on May 7, 2016 at 1:11:04 am

[hanna dean] " ....will after effects render in real time?"

No. There is no such thing as real time rendering in After Effects.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Quick advice needed ssd upgrade as primrary
by on May 7, 2016 at 11:55:12 am

[Dave LaRonde] "There is no such thing as real time rendering in After Effects.
"

I mean, you can get AE to render some things in real time. But it's not going to be a normal occurance. Like, one shape layer moving around would render faster than real time ;)
Although, joking aside, I did see the upcoming version of AE render the Lumetri effect at faster than real time with GPU acceleration turned on. Having some of the effects be GPU accelerated could be a pretty big deal. We'll see when it releases.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Quick advice needed ssd upgrade as primrary
by on May 7, 2016 at 4:18:07 pm

[hanna dean] "Since i will use this ssd internally and for cache , will after effects render in real time ? wil it be faster"

After Effects's cache system saves individual layers/frames that have already been rendered, and associates them with the footage/effects/properties that were used to create them, so that they can be quickly recalled instead of rendered again from scratch.

It will not make the very first preview/render of anything faster, but it will help Ae remember the things you've already rendered and make any subsequent renders faster.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

by on May 7, 2016 at 5:50:02 pm

ah i se ok , by the way i tested the ssd by cloning here is what happened.

1: sata windows boot time with application loading time after windows boot is 25 seconds
2: ssd windows boot time with application loading time after windows boot is 15 seconds.

after effects open just as i click it , after effect has over 50 plugins also.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]