ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is my cpu and computer goood for after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hanna dean
Is my cpu and computer goood for after effects
on May 3, 2016 at 3:40:29 pm

my computer specs

is my computer good for adobe after effects or do i need upgrade.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Is my cpu and computer goood for after effects
on May 3, 2016 at 6:50:31 pm

Yes. You might want to double your RAM.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 3, 2016 at 6:51:10 pm

Do you have a couple of SSD's in there? You want some.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on May 3, 2016 at 7:06:59 pm

hi sir am currently on sata , i might need to get some ssd , and what ram upgrades will you recommened me.
my pc can hold upto 64gb ram.

is my pc good for rendering and performance

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 3, 2016 at 7:19:58 pm

32 would be better than 16. If you can get 64, it wouldn't hurt to have that instead.

It depends on what kind of work you're doing, but yes, it should work okay. Rendering in AE is a whole long discussion...
I usually work in CC 2015 and then render in CC 2014 to use the old multiprocessing, but that doesn't apply if I'm using Element 3d, for example.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on May 3, 2016 at 7:29:53 pm

so is it good to work on cc 2015 for performance ? please tell me then later render it out using cc 2014

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 3, 2016 at 8:14:57 pm

[hanna dean] "so is it good to work on cc 2015 for performance ? please tell me then later render it out using cc 2014"

My preference is to work in Ae CC 2015. The interactive performance is a lot better.

I render short things directly from Ae CC 2015 (since they are usually cached anyway), but longer comps from Ae CC 2014 with multiprocessing enabled.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on May 3, 2016 at 8:20:08 pm

if i save projects in cc 2014 can i open in cc 2015 vice versa

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 3, 2016 at 9:17:56 pm

[hanna dean] "if i save projects in cc 2014 can i open in cc 2015 vice versa"

Yes, they are 100% compatible. We do this all day, every day.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on May 3, 2016 at 8:39:32 pm

if i enable multi processing will this speed up the render time, also speed up render is time line as i move through

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 3, 2016 at 9:19:56 pm

[hanna dean] "if i enable multi processing will this speed up the render time, also speed up render is time line as i move through"

Multiprocessing takes a little while to start up, but once it's running, Ae can render multiple frames at the same time. For very short projects, it's not worth the startup time. For longer projects, the startup time is paid back and then some with the faster overall render.

This applies for previews and renders in Ae CC 2014. It does not apply for just scrubbing the timeline.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on May 3, 2016 at 9:45:36 pm

i have over 100 plugins and scrips installed on both cc 15 / 14 and with or without multi processing on i have no issues starting it up its normal fast no slow loading , am just referring to if i have it enabled will it consume more electric power ?

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on May 3, 2016 at 9:48:50 pm

i also wanted to say currently i have it turned of because i have 16gb ram and not sure how much ram i should give to other apps , am not having no issues with loading up or crash , in task manager when i work with after effects cc2014 after some time i se it uses 10gb memory lol this is just to much ,but stil runs good even play pc games on it while its in background idle stil normal.

should i turn the multi processing on , also will it consume more electric or will it damage my cpu in anyway

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on May 4, 2016 at 2:28:48 am

Multiprocessing is an option in After Effects CC 2014 and, as such, is unlikely to cause any harm on your computer. All it does is initiate several background instances of After Effects every time you render so that it can render multiple frames at once. It's not doing anything weird with your system's hardware.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Chuose Osemeka
on Jul 12, 2016 at 4:07:49 am

When you say " For very short projects, it's not worth the startup time "

Like how short would you say makes it worth while?

can you give a ball path figure?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 12, 2016 at 1:29:04 pm

[Chuose Osemeka] "When you say " For very short projects, it's not worth the startup time "

Like how short would you say makes it worth while?

can you give a ball path figure?"

You can't really give a ball park figure because projects are so very, very varied and the hardware combinations on which they run are so varied.

If you have 16 GB of RAM or more, it's worth giving it a try to see how things are in your project. Turn multiprocessing on in CC 2014 and see how it works vs. rendering in CC 2015.3. For what it's worth, unless your project is really render-heavy (lots of particles, for example), it may not be worth it. I mean, if you're got a big scene using Element 3d, multiprocessing won't help at all because Element renders on the GPU. See what I mean? Complicated.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 12, 2016 at 1:43:42 pm

[Chuose Osemeka] "When you say " For very short projects, it's not worth the startup time " Like how short would you say makes it worth while? can you give a ball path figure?"

There are no rules. Multiprocessing launches multiple instances of Ae for rendering, and each instance opens its own copy of the project file, so everything from your CPU to your RAM to your storage to your plugins to your project file size influences how long multiprocessing takes to start up. Even then, the efficacy of multiprocessing is highly dependent on what you're doing in the comp; some effects will be slower with multiprocessing on!

I'm sorry I can't help, but you'll have to answer your own question. Render with MP on and off with a few projects to get a sense of what it means on your machine.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 12, 2016 at 2:00:02 pm

i have 2 ssd samsung evo 850

i have gtx 980 superclocked acx2 now.

Return to posts index

hanna dean
on Jul 12, 2016 at 2:03:23 pm

i have multi process off , and when i use after effects media encoder the render times its very good still.

if i turn on multi proce will media encoder be faster

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 12, 2016 at 2:20:09 pm

[hanna dean] "if i turn on multi proce will media encoder be faster"

Multiprocessing is only when using the After Effects render queue. The Adobe Media Encoder can't use it.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Mike Poliskey
on Oct 19, 2016 at 5:48:15 pm

Hi,

I'm gonna buy a new PC to work with Premiere Pro and After Effects. My budget is around 1500 $ excluding monitors. I got this config suggestion from another forum. Could you please take a look and advice if it's ok for beginning? Also I found some info that some cards (gtx 750 ti for example) do not support ray tracing in AE? is it something I should consider?
And the last question - you guys mention above multiprocessing - I understand you owe two versions. But is it possible to buy v.14 yet? As I can see the last one only on adobe's site.
Thx in advance

Mike

I7 6700K
Gigabyte Z170-D3H zł
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250
samsung ssd 850 pro 256
Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB
GTX TITAN
2 x Patriot Viper 4 16GB DDR4
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2, 650W
Noctua NH-D14

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 19, 2016 at 6:21:31 pm

[Mike Poliskey] "I'm gonna buy a new PC to work with Premiere Pro and After Effects. My budget is around 1500 $ excluding monitors. I got this config suggestion from another forum. Could you please take a look and advice if it's ok for beginning?
I7 6700K
Gigabyte Z170-D3H zł
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250
samsung ssd 850 pro 256
Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB
GTX TITAN
Noctua NH-D14"

I'd consider a larger power supply, but that looks pretty decent otherwise.

[Mike Poliskey] "I found some info that some cards (gtx 750 ti for example) do not support ray tracing in AE? is it something I should consider?"

No. The ray-traced renderer is considered dead by Adobe. They do not plan to develop it any further. There are some third-party plugins that use the GPU (Element 3d, Red Giant Universe, etc.), AE has a few effects that are accelerated by the GPU, and Premiere uses the GPU a lot, so worry about those things and not the ray-traced renderer.
A Titan should be plenty for most use ?

[Mike Poliskey] "...you guys mention above multiprocessing - I understand you owe two versions. But is it possible to buy v.14 yet? As I can see the last one only on adobe's site."

A Creative Cloud subscription includes CS6, CC, CC 2014, CC 2015, CC 2015.3, and the next release of AE (that is "coming soon"). You will be able to install all six of them on the same machine alongside each other with no issues if you have a CC subscription.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Mike Poliskey
on Oct 19, 2016 at 6:25:34 pm

Thx a lot!

Return to posts index

Mike Poliskey
on Dec 1, 2016 at 3:42:31 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "[Mike Poliskey] "I'm gonna buy a new PC to work with Premiere Pro and After Effects. My budget is around 1500 $ excluding monitors. I got this config suggestion from another forum. Could you please take a look and advice if it's ok for beginning?
I7 6700K
Gigabyte Z170-D3H
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250
samsung ssd 850 pro 256
Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB
GTX TITAN
Noctua NH-D14"

(....)

[Mike Poliskey] "I found some info that some cards (gtx 750 ti for example) do not support ray tracing in AE? is it something I should consider?"

No. The ray-traced renderer is considered dead by Adobe. They do not plan to develop it any further. There are some third-party plugins that use the GPU (Element 3d, Red Giant Universe, etc.), AE has a few effects that are accelerated by the GPU, and Premiere uses the GPU a lot, so worry about those things and not the ray-traced renderer."

I'm back as I've got some problem.
I have my new PC with almost the same configuration as mentioned above (just gtx 1060 instead of titan). AE 2017.
There is a basic composition with a single FHD clip (8sec) - when I make it 3d it extremely slows down. Even with quarter quality preview takes ages, ram preview is loading around 3 frames per 2 seconds. CPU runs ~99%. Is it something wrong with my computer or is it normal and I should not expect more??
Seems like work is not possible in this case...

Please advice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]