ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Challenge: Gigapixel photo (Zooming in and Out)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan JensenChallenge: Gigapixel photo (Zooming in and Out)
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 3:54:23 am

We have a challenge here.

I have an image that is 9 billion pixel in resolution and 27GB large. It's in PSB format. The idea is to import into an 1080p sequence, zoom out from 5000% and slowly scope out over a couple of minutes. Crazy, I know.

Didn't work in After Effects. After Effects won't take the format nor the size.

I then resized the 9 gigapixel to 30,000 wide and exported it as a JPG format in Photoshop. the JPG image will import in After Effects, but the graphic card won't handle it.

How can I make this work?

In After Effects or any other software?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Challenge: Gigapixel photo (Zooming in and Out)
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 9:05:27 am

Chop the large image in PS to manageable tiles, save as tiff, png or whatever you like, and then rebuild the image back in AE. Link all tiles to a Null and you have what you need.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Challenge: Gigapixel photo (Zooming in and Out)
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 11:32:21 am

You can stack 2D images of twice the resolution you need, increasingly cropped toward your zoom target.

If your target resolution is 1920x1080, crop the images to 3840x2160. Start with the full uncropped (unless you need to change the aspect) image resized to those dimensions as the bottom layer. Then add another version where you first crop the image so that you have a section around your zoom target point that is 50% of the original image area both horizontally and vertically. Resize that to 3840x2160. Then the next one cropped to 25% of the image area, resized. Next layer 12.5%, etc, all resized to 3840x2160 until you run out of image to crop and that's your last (top layer).

Bring them in to AE, scale each consecutive layer to half of the preceding one, so that they are 50%, 25%, 12.5% etc. and centered on your zoom target. You will end up with a varying resolution image stack that has most resolution at your zoom target.

Like this Video Copilot Earth Zoom, with the exception that you create the pieces by cropping and resizing from a single image:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved