ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Flat Animating a Balloon and String

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Penn
Flat Animating a Balloon and String
on Apr 26, 2016 at 5:33:29 pm

Hey there,
I've searched the forums and have had some luck in my search, just doubke checking and making sure.

I have an Illustrartor file of a flat balloon shape that I created (just an oval shape with a triangle bit) and I plan to import this into After Effects.

How do I attach a string to this balloon and give it a very subtle waving motion as the balloon raises (raises in a straight line)?

I was thinking it would be easiest to create a thin rectangle shape in After Effects itself, for the string and then use the Puppet Tool to connect it to the end of the balloon - then simply add a wiggle effect.

Am I completly wrong?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Flat Animating a Balloon and String
on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:27:51 pm

You're on the right track. You can draw a line as a shape layer with the pen tool and add a wiggle paths animator to it. Tinker with the settings and you can get something that looks pretty decent. Parent this string layer to your balloon to make sure it follows your balloon around.

Return to posts index

Sam DeZeeuw
on Apr 27, 2016 at 3:19:05 pm

Using the Puppet Pin tool is certainly one solution. Personally it is not the way I would do it though.

For a more organic feeling movement, I would use the Turbulent Displace plug in to your string layer.
-Raise the Offset Turbulence point to the top of the string
-Raise the Amount to about 50
-Keyframe the "Size" to get your movement.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Josh Penn
on Apr 28, 2016 at 1:48:41 pm

I just tried this and it gives a really nice natural looking motion.
Only one problem, the entire string wobbles, is there a way to make the part that attaches to the balloon static and stay in one spot?
Let me know if that makes no sense.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Apr 29, 2016 at 8:08:45 am

You can precomp the string layer so the string starts at the top and use "Pin Top Locked". Then move the layer into position.

Return to posts index

Josh Penn
on Apr 29, 2016 at 8:27:13 am

Okay I shall see if I can figure this out (Im a noob, first time doing something 'complex' like this) but thanks for the help I appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]