ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects Referencing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike PindaraAfter Effects Referencing
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 6:55:51 pm

More curious than anything,

Coming from a 3D background, file referencing is commonplace. People working on assets and seeing them update down the pipeline. Even with things like Dynamic link in Premiere, the same concept is there.

So how has After Effects not gotten to the point where I can reference a comp in another project file that my co-workers are updating and working on, so that I dont have to split and share unlimited versions of the main project, then take time to compile it all back together again into one timeline at the end.

Am I just a dreamer?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Referencing
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 10:02:52 pm

You're talking about 3D applications that were first written in this century. AE wasn't. They sort of painted themselves into a corner, code-wise.

There's a big code re-write under way for AE. Will it fix that problem? Unknown at the moment.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike PindaraRe: After Effects Referencing
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 10:11:00 pm

Hah, yea that is true.

I guess it's tough to expect adobe to modernize it's application when they're busy trying to cram all these new useful tools like the character animator.

It just seems so logical with the current state of todays studios, it's a wonder why they haven't tried to take steps forward sooner. But, I'm not a programmer, so I'm sure they're doing the best they can with what the marketing department is telling them they need to do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved