ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make an image track a face on a video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ash Reeves
How to make an image track a face on a video
on Apr 25, 2016 at 8:23:37 am

Hi there,

I have a simple video of a dog that I'm trying to superimpose a face onto. The video involes a dog just sitting there and the camera tracks in slightly at one point and moves round slightly. There isn't an awful lot of movement. But I'm having trouble getting the face to match it.

I did a face track on the dog video and selected track and scale. After selecting the area of the face I wanted tracked I started the tracker. I thought it would be a simple job of making the image of the face in the other layer just follow the track set out on the mask in the video layer of the dog. But I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to be working. Tutorial videos I've found don't seem to have the solution. I'm sure this is a easy enough task but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the original clip of the dog, just to give you an idea of what I'm working with:

Thanks!
Ash

Return to posts index

Soham Jani
Re: How to make an image track a face on a video
on Apr 25, 2016 at 1:25:08 pm

I don't think this "face swap" effect you're trying to do is as easy as you think, but nonetheless it can be done. Have you seen any face replacement tutorials yet? I think that's what you're trying to achieve there. I believe in most films and whatnot it's mostly CGI, but it can be done without that too. These videos might get you started:

Also if the face replacement or tracking doesn't really work, you might want to try your hand at Mocha.

"It's all around us Neo, temporary constructs of time....."

Return to posts index

Ash Reeves
on Apr 26, 2016 at 2:41:12 pm

Hi Soham,

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I've looked at a couple of tutorials but unfortunatly I don't have CC 2015 (I have the previous version), so therefore I don't have the 'Face tracking; option. Is there any other possible way of achieving a similar effect?

One thing I have working in my favour is that this project is a bit of a novelty so it doesn't have to look particularly professional.

Return to posts index

Soham Jani
on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:08:38 pm

Oh, well that kinda sucks. Apart from that, I'm going to assume there are ways to do this without CC 2015, but you're also doing this on a dog's face, which means it's not a human face and it might be harder for some program to recognize that. Right now,mthe only other option I see is to go with CGI, or using a seperate program just for this effect.

Return to posts index

Ash Reeves
on Apr 27, 2016 at 9:16:56 am

Really? I'm almost sure it's possible. I used the elipse tool and created a mask around the face area, and then under method selected I chose Position, Scale and Rotation. I tracked the motion of the dogs face and it did so to a 'resonable' standard, but as I said that's probably good enough for the purposes of what I'm doing.

What I'm trying to do now is apply this layer I have with the image of the face to the mask that I've tracked. So is that in no way possible?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Soham Jani
on Apr 27, 2016 at 12:20:06 pm

Oh no, I didn't actually mran this effect isn't possible, I'm just saying that without the face tracker, you'll just end up doing a little bit more work. But I was thinking, you already made a mask with a shape layer, you could do a track matter or something, or you could take the image of the face and mask it out around the dog's face, track it, and you might have to use the puppet tool to maybe wrap the face around the dog's face, just so it sits nicely. Hopefully you kind of see where I'm coming from....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]