ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

individual (automated??) 'transform each' inside a shape layer's different groups.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt currindividual (automated??) 'transform each' inside a shape layer's different groups.
by on Apr 21, 2016 at 5:51:58 am

I have a AI file of a fish composed entirely of dots. Hundreds. When I transform it to a shape layer I then want every dot to scale up from 0%, from each dot's centre, NOT from the entire fish's centre. Basically what "transform each" does in AI. Is there anyway of doing it without having to apply a transform to each and every group inside the shape layer itself, maybe expressions or a plug-in or another method? I did a map of australia last week manually and it nearly drove me insane*. And that was only 50 groups.

The only other way I can think of is to initially make each dot a separate layer in illustrator, which would be a headache but would still be better than the manual method inside AE.

* the reason for insanity is that when you copy/paste attributes from each group within a shape, there's a chance it will replace that group's path with the one you copy/pasted the attributes from. I haven't 100% figured out the rhyme or reason for this

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: individual (automated??) 'transform each' inside a shape layer's different groups.
by on Apr 21, 2016 at 2:18:33 pm

Where do you get "groups" from? If I paste a piece of illustrator artwork on a shape layer, I get masks.

With masks you can animate the mask expansion. Doesn't work exactly the same as scaling everything from 0 (expect if all the masks are the same size).

You can draw the fish on a Shape layer with Ellipses and you can scale them all individually around their respective center points (or linked to a central scale slider).

Return to posts index

matt currRe: individual (automated??) 'transform each' inside a shape layer's different groups.
by on Apr 21, 2016 at 11:26:41 pm

I thought I was being quite specific about the groups INSIDE a shape layer, after importing AI file and converting shape to vector. As i said the illustrator file has hundreds of circles, if i do what i said each one will be inside its own group inside shape layer>contents>group1, 2, 3, etc

dodgy workaround I thought of this morning was just keyframing the stroke of the entire contents (they'll be either on white or a solid background) going from 100 to 0 using the BG colour as the stroke colour. Surely there must be a better way than that. Frustrating that illustrator has the 'transform each' function but not AE.

Return to posts index

matt currRe: individual (automated??) 'transform each' inside a shape layer's different groups.
by on Apr 21, 2016 at 11:42:35 pm

Rick Gerard (bless his soul) on the adobe forums suggested Simple Choker which when keyframed works a treat!! For anyone who stumbles across this post with the same problem.

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: individual (automated??) 'transform each' inside a shape layer's different groups.
by on Apr 22, 2016 at 6:41:08 am

Ok, I see that you get groups when you convert it that way.

Each group has its own transform settings, so if you put a slider control on a separate layer "controls" and then use

temp = thisComp.layer("controls").effect("Slider Control")("Slider");
[temp, temp]

for the group transform>scale, that'll do it.

Of course, you'll still have to paste it to each group transform separately.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]