ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D motion tracking for static cameras with moving objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam O'Hern3D motion tracking for static cameras with moving objects
by on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:23:16 pm

Hi all,

Most of the 3D motion tracking tutorials I've seen are for camera matching or stabilization, where the camera is moving and we want to track static points in space. I'm actually trying to do the opposite: I have a static camera on a tripod, and objects moving in space.

I can track points on the objects easily enough using 2D trackers. The hard part is getting three of them to create a 3D plane. I've tried the 3D Camera Tracker, and it fails on my footage.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Adam

Return to posts index

Paul FishermanRe: 3D motion tracking for static cameras with moving objects
by on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:53:33 pm
Last Edited By Paul Fisherman on Apr 19, 2016 at 3:58:20 pm

Try this: https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/5751/camera-solving-with-still-backgro...
But I think if you're trying to track static footage, you should probably use the motion tracker.
"It's all around us Neo, temporary constructs of time....."

Return to posts index

Jon SimpsonRe: 3D motion tracking for static cameras with moving objects
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 1:13:20 am

Maybe precomposing the footage and then using the tracking tools on a single footage could work.

Return to posts index

Soham JaniRe: 3D motion tracking for static cameras with moving objects
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 2:57:53 pm

Well, possibly. But I still think that the camera tracker/motion tracker is probably best for this situation, considering that all you are trying to do is track 2D footage, I believe. If it doesn't work, there's still Mocha and Syntheyes and other tracking programs, so just give that a shot if it doesn't work.

"It's all around us Neo, temporary constructs of time....."

Return to posts index

Adam O'HernRe: 3D motion tracking for static cameras with moving objects
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 3:00:29 pm

Thanks, guys. Taking a different tack. If I ever need to do 3D motion tracking in future I'll probably spring for NUKE.

Return to posts index

Mike PindaraRe: 3D motion tracking for static cameras with moving objects
by on Apr 25, 2016 at 6:58:24 pm

I know I'm late to the party, but if you manage to make the element that's in motion, so the only pixels you get are from the moving object. That SHOULD trick the camera tracker into thinking the camera is moving around it.

I can't recall where, but it's possibly Evan Abrams on youtube touches on that concept with face tracking.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]