ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Painting out Video File Glitches

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Remington MarkhamPainting out Video File Glitches
by on Apr 14, 2016 at 7:37:29 pm

We just got back from recording some testimonies that can't be rescheduled by deadline. We had a corrupt raid system on set which has left us with some corrupted video footage. Visual tears, data mashing, etc.

Most of it's not salvageable, though specific frames could be repainted and repurposed in after effects with enough time. Is anyone here aware of any freelance artists or studios capable of taking on such a task?

Any recommendation would be great!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Painting out Video File Glitches
by on Apr 15, 2016 at 1:16:43 am

if you could find anyone with enough skill to make it presentable, the price would likely be astronomical, because at the tail end of roto/masking each frame, graphic painting is the slowest, most expensive motion graphics work possible.

This isn't hair or scratches, this is missing large chunks of video information. Depending on the shot, which hopefully was a locked tripod, you'd need to use a whole bag 'o tricks like alternate frames, cloning, clean plates, timewarps, color correction etc. If the shot was moving, you would need 2.5D tracking, lens correction before you even got to the hard part!

as for who to actually go to, check their reel specifically for image restoration in the jobs forums here. good luck$$$$$

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Painting out Video File Glitches
by on Apr 15, 2016 at 2:32:46 am

I have to agree with Chris. The task you propose sounds like re-creating the video frame by frame. If you can even find someone willing to take it on, I expect you will be stunned by the price tag and the amount of time it would take.

If a reshoot is absolutely out of the question, you may have to settle for a series of still images that occasionally change.

I expect you've already instituted procedures to keep such a mishap from happening again.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved