ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cool effects ideas for a few games of youth flag football?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alan james
Cool effects ideas for a few games of youth flag football?
on Apr 12, 2016 at 7:19:03 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm relatively new to AE. I have mastered Movie Maker and made some slick looking productions of youth football and hockey teams capturing magical moments for the seasons and presenting them at team parties and sharing the link to them on online.

But now I have moved on to the complex world of AE. I've already used it for overlaying still images and animating them. But now I want to add some cool effects.

I have taken several tutorials and tried to emulate what the instructor was doing in their videos so I have a decent grasp of beginner and intermediate effects but definitely need to follow tutorials to do them as they are not ingrained in me yet.

I was wondering if any of you had some ideas for effects that could be used for clips of youth flag football. Nothing staged so no clean plates. Just actual game action.

Of course, it can't be super advanced as I don't have the skill and I volunteer to do this so can't spend 24/7 working on a clip. And I will need to google actual tutorials. I should be alright as long as a find a tut on a similar concept. And I am willing to do rotoscoping, motion tracking, parenting, masking, etc frame by frame as the effects will only last a few seconds.

If any of the ideas I have so far seem impractical for me, please let me know.

- Runner's shoes turn red and leaves a trail of fire behind while running for a touchdown.

- QB throws the ball and while in the air it kind of has an explosive thrust and has a trail of smoke behind it like a rocket.

- Fireworks in the background right as someone scores a touchdown.

- Receiver's hands start to shoot electricity/lightning like the emperor from Star Wars while his hands are up and waiting for the ball to land in their hands. The electricity gets shorter and shorter while the ball gets closer and closer. Kind of like he's sucking in the ball towards him. To be in slow motion.

- QB's hands are glowing while he is waiting to take the snap from the holder and as soon as he touches the ball the ball glows briefly like he charged it with energy and as he throws it, it is glowing with pulsating energy in the air before receiver catches it. To be in slow motion.

- While the running back is running around and changing directions on the field to avoid defenders, explosions are being set off on the ground and it looks like he is dodging those explosions as well as the defenders.

- In a wide shot, as runner is clear and running way ahead of the defenders behind him, every few strides I take a screen capture and cut out the runner in mid stride from that screen cap and place that cut-out image of himself behind the runner. Maybe 4 or 5 times so it looks like he leaves a trail of his frozen self behind in 4 different frozen, mid-stride positions.

Only problem is that the images of himself will be overlayed on top of the footage meaning that they will be briefly overlayed on top of the pursuing defenders in the video. Which might not be too bad if the video is in real time or sped up and is only a few seconds long.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Cool effects ideas for a few games of youth flag football?
on Apr 12, 2016 at 9:46:28 pm

What version of AE do you have?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

alan james
on Apr 12, 2016 at 10:24:04 pm

CS6

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 13, 2016 at 12:02:51 am

CS6.... there's a chance you also have Premiere Pro. If you do, I recommend you start there. It's a LOT easier to use than AE, and I bet you'd find some cool stuff you could do in it... WAY beyond what you can do with that Windows hobbyist video editor.

AE has a really steep learning curve. It's not that you can't get it, it just takes a LONG time to get it. Probably longer than you're willing to wait for this particular project. Some of the stuff you're proposing is pretty sophisticated. Learning the how-to's for it ain't particularly easy.

Here are a couple of links that can get you going, and they're good ones:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/02/after-effects-basics-tutorials-...

http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

alan james
on Apr 13, 2016 at 12:58:29 am

Thanks Dave.

I have already done a couple of the clips I mentioned with footage from last year as practice. But they are very rough and need some polishing. I just have to play around a lot with the variables.

For the upcoming season, it doesn't start for another couple of weeks and it's 9 weeks long. So each week I can play around with some clips. Plus there's no timetable for when the team video should be done.

I will again be doing the team video in WLMM but use maybe 8-12 clips created in AE and insert them into the WLMM project. All other clips from the season will just be standard footage.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 13, 2016 at 5:11:45 pm

Apparently you have some time. Good. Use those links supplied above to learn After Effects. You might just be able to do some of the stuff you want.

And if you actually HAVE Premiere Pro, start using it and wean yourself off that Windows edit thingy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]