ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to use 3d objects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Harrison
How to use 3d objects?
on Apr 11, 2016 at 3:01:14 pm

I am experienced with After Effects, but I recently saw a portion of a video in which an animated 3d object was used, and I was hoping someone could tell me what technique was used to recreate the 3d effects in this video at 0:55 - 1:00 (the sword dropping and the angel), and at 3:06 with the pods dropping in. Here's the link:

Thanks

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
Re: How to use 3d objects?
on Apr 11, 2016 at 11:34:46 pm
Last Edited By Paul Fisherman on Apr 11, 2016 at 11:36:09 pm

Do you have any experience with 3D layers in ae? If so, one was to do it is to get a picture of a sword and animate it coming down, and also get a transparent picture of a crack, and layer it over the sword's impact spot. Then, just add camera shake! For the minimal dust, just use stock footage if you want and colorize it if needed.

"It's all around us Neo, temporary constructs of time....."

Return to posts index

Oliver Harrison
on Apr 11, 2016 at 11:44:59 pm

I understand 3d layers in After Effects, but I'm not sure how he got the sword to go through the layer. Which positions do I keyframe? Also, the 3d pods and angel I have still not been able to figure out.

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Apr 12, 2016 at 1:36:54 am

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if you're trying to recreate it in a 2D environment like the video, then I'm a little lost on your issue. Have you tried doing it yourself?

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Apr 12, 2016 at 1:39:47 am

Oh sorry, through the layer? Well that layer would probably be created by you and then you would set it on top of your sword and then "push it through the layer". Get what I mean? I'm sorry if you're confused I just don't really help too many people but I'm trying anyway. But since AE works off of layers, unless you're using some other layer, which I still think would be set on top of the sword to hide the sword, giving it the illusion that the sword went through the layer. Understand? A little bit?

Return to posts index

Oliver Harrison
on Apr 12, 2016 at 1:43:59 am

Well setting the board layer on top of the sword would hide the sword completely, but I think I just came up with a solution. If I use a photo of the board as a clean slate I could duplicate it and cut it in half and vertically slide the sword underneath the bottom half of the board. What about the angel and the blue mist that follows the sword on its descent?

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Apr 12, 2016 at 1:50:55 am

Wow, exactly what I was going to say! Now, for the dust, I was thinking you could take stock footage of dust or smoke or something and add a colorize to it and adjust it however it fits into your compostion. Other than that, you might have to make the dust using a plugin.

Return to posts index

Oliver Harrison
on Apr 12, 2016 at 2:42:04 am

I wound up creating a mask on the layer of the sword itself and just setting it to subtract, with a border at around where I wanted the sword to submerge, and applied a feather to its border, it looks great. I am having more trouble with the smoke than I thought I would, but it looks like just a smoke effect with a wide emitter that is moving down with the hilt of the sword, but I don't know how to create that wispy smoky effect. (Once I have the effect I could just set the gravity to 180 degrees so it moves up). Still haven't found anything about animated .obj files. The pods are definitely some kind of 3d object, as their sides are concealed as they are lowered (or moved forward, based on perspective). Is there an After Effects plug-in that allows AE to create 3D compositions like Cinema 4D? C4D is pretty difficult and rather unappealing to use, and I am trying to avoid having to download it on this computer as being the mac it is, has very little RAM. However, I feel like Cinema 4D will be inevitable as that is a 3D model being pushed into Z-space. (which, if 3d models were supported on After Effects, would be very easy.

For the cracks I assume you just find stock crack photos and set the layer mode to screen to eliminate the black channels?

So I could definitely use some pointers on the smoke as I am not the best with fractal noise. I could color it with VC Vibrance afterwards.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Apr 12, 2016 at 2:39:06 pm

Alright, for the angel appearing, if you can find any footage of an animated angel that might do. If not, you may have to get a picture of one and animatebit with the puppet tool or the mask or however you wish to. The smoke seems like trapcode form being emmitted, though I don't use it too much, so I'm not 100% sure. Maybe if you use trapcode particular I think there's a way to adjust in a way that it doesn't look like particles? Not sure. And for the pods? Well, if you have any experience at all with C4D you might be able to pull it off but I can't find any pods online for that. You might have to take a picture of a pod and kind of make it look 3D using photoshop? If you know how to do that? And what exactly are you trying to recreate this for? Project? Or for fun? Just wondering....

Return to posts index

Oliver Harrison
on Apr 12, 2016 at 2:51:42 pm

I don't have much experience with Cinema 4D, but this effect looks like it would take no time at all. The $200 price tag and RAM requirements are not very appealing either. I do, however, have Blender and could use that, but I wouldn't know how to transfer files from Blender to AE and vice versa. This is mainly for fun but I would like to know how to manipulate 3d items in a 2d environment. For the smoke I wound up just using Fast Blur on Particular, but I still can't get it to appear in wispy, horizontal lines like it is in the video.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Apr 12, 2016 at 2:58:36 pm

Alright, that's cool man. So I found this short tutorial on smoke and particular, it might help.

Return to posts index

Oliver Harrison
on Apr 12, 2016 at 1:48:12 am

On second thought, the angel looks like trap code particular at work, but I don't know how to find an animated .obj file or create one myself. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Oliver Harrison
on Apr 12, 2016 at 2:43:49 am

Not trap code particular! I meant to say trap code Form!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]