ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Problem with Alpha Channel on AfterEffects composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean BassettProblem with Alpha Channel on AfterEffects composition
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 3:25:17 pm

I'm editing a short film called 'Lost In Time' and one of the sequences is supposed to reflect a 1920s silent film, however Adobe AfterEffect registers the footage as in colour even though on Premiere Pro it has been edited into black and white.

I've tried turning the alpha channel off but it won't let me click 'interpret the footage' in the file menu for the sequence on the composition and I can't edit each clip manually into black and white because it's all in a sequence. Editing the entire sequence into black and white isn't an option either because the 70s Film Noir scenes are also in the same part and are intended to be full colour. So how do I get AfterEffects to recognise the 20s silent film as in black and white?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem with Alpha Channel on AfterEffects composition
by on Apr 10, 2016 at 2:16:23 am

Well, that's because your video IS in color. The colors just happen to contain equal amounts of red, blue and green. In other words, grayscale. In other words, black and white.

Don't sweat it. Everything is fine. Once you actually get some AE experience under your belt, you'll get it.

Oh, and don't go messing with alpha channels until you know what you're doing. you don't even know what an alpha channel is for.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved