ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Blacks not matching due to mask! Need Advice!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura MichelmoreBlacks not matching due to mask! Need Advice!
by on Apr 8, 2016 at 11:07:46 pm

I am doing a project at the moment in AE where it requires me to mask around models that were shot on black, as I have them duplicated within my scenes. I have then placed them on a black background and masked around them with a soft feather to blend it in. It looks fine on my Mac but then when I play it back on a TV you can see where all the masks are and it's quite obvious.

Not exactly sure how to fix this? If anyone could help me that would be much appreciated! This project is due tomorrow and It's going to take a bit to render!!! Freaking Out!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Blacks not matching due to mask! Need Advice!
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 1:02:17 am

Either feather the masks so the edge isn't so obvious (press F to reveal the Feather property), or try a Levels effect on your footage. Raise the input black control to crush the shadows in your footage, just far enough to fix your problem.

You can adjust the exposure of the viewer without affecting the render to evaluate your work:

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Laura MichelmoreRe: Blacks not matching due to mask! Need Advice!
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 1:12:17 am

Thanks for your help :) It's been a tricky one as some of the models are wearing black and i't so poorly lit so if i reduce the levels I lose a little bit of detail.

I think I have figured it out though. I have changed my background to a dark grey to match the footage a bit more and then set the blending mode on the shots to lighten to blend in a bit better. It seems to be working so far. Thanks for the tip on the exposure in the viewer as I have just pre-composed my footage and have that a higher exposure and have been switching between the two.

Laura :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved