ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

manual preview scrub audio start

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemiermanual preview scrub audio start
by on Apr 8, 2016 at 2:51:55 pm

When you cold control (on PC) while holding the current time indicator without moving it plays a little loop of the audio with a few frames on either side of it.

I'm using this to find the exact start of one instrument among others. I have the waveform open, and you can see large beats. But say I want to see a single piano note with a bunch of strings sustaining? You can't see that clearly in the waveform. The loop goes on either side of your cursor. I want to find the "hit" so I'd rather that preview be only on the right.

Is that possible? I thought you could change the amount of time somewhere. I'm hoping you can also change that.

This is the only mention I could find of it. I had to use Google to search today also because I'm getting an error 413 for the Adobe search pages. :/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: manual preview scrub audio start
by on Apr 8, 2016 at 4:23:14 pm

Yeah, the automated ways of making keyframes from audio pretty much stink at that job.

If you have Audition, y'know what I'd do? I'd ask about this on the Audition forum. I'm pretty sure there's a feature that lets you set a marker for an audio file & import into AE. Why go through all that rigamarole? Because Audition's great with audio. AE sucks at it.

Or you could just make a solid in AE, put its in point where you think the sound will occur, and RAM Preview. Watch for the color change from the solid. Put a marker on the audio layer. Proceed to the next tough spot & repeat.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy EngelkemierRe: manual preview scrub audio start
by on Apr 8, 2016 at 5:08:25 pm

In previous version of AfterEffects all I had to do was listen to the entire track and tap along with the star key. I have pretty good timing, so that was almost always spot on. But since somewhere around CS6 through CC, there's a little bit of lag every time you add a marker.

But that's exactly how it works in Audition as well. So I just did it there, saved over the file, right clicked on a marker on the audio file and chose "replace all markers from source"
I thought it might choke a bit because I added 500+ markers, but it did fine.

your solid idea isn't so bad for some of the ones that Really need to hit perfectly. But if I had to do that a ton I would hope for a faster workflow.

I wasn't looking to automate it. I was just looking to see if I could change a setting that's already there. In that click and hold preview, I want it to start from that point instead of play around that point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved