ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing the body movement/shape of an actor in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron J. MarchChanging the body movement/shape of an actor in After Effects
by on Apr 7, 2016 at 8:55:36 am

Hello, I have been looking for some solutions to an issue I have with the body of an actor in a shot.

Essentially the shot is for a client selling a fitness gizmo and I created a series of exercise videos - the client has an issue that the actor's back is not 'straight' in the shot and therefore not good to show people - a 'not-straight' back may cause injury.

I am weighing up between a re-shoot and an AE solution - is there any technique in AE which I might be able to use to straighten the back?

I have been considering rotoscoping + using the animate tool but not sure.

Thank you in advance for any advice/tips!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Changing the body movement/shape of an actor in After Effects
by on Apr 7, 2016 at 9:27:27 am
Last Edited By Tudor "Ted" Jelescu on Apr 7, 2016 at 9:28:14 am

Re-shoot is always the best option, especially when it comes to exercise videos where the shot is long and the actor's position and movement is what sells the idea. Changing something in a way that tricks the viewer will be most difficult.
You can try using some distortion tools - Mesh Warp or Bezier Warp, but I doubt that will work on longer shots.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Aaron J. MarchRe: Changing the body movement/shape of an actor in After Effects
by on Apr 7, 2016 at 10:12:04 am

Cheers Ted, I'll give those a try... but - long shots! lol

Return to posts index

Paul FishermanRe: Changing the body movement/shape of an actor in After Effects
by on Apr 7, 2016 at 2:30:48 pm

I was gonna say use the puppet tool, but thaf might not work out too well. Doesn't mean you can't try it....

"It's all around us Neo, temporary constructs of time....."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Changing the body movement/shape of an actor in After Effects
by on Apr 7, 2016 at 3:46:02 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 7, 2016 at 4:32:51 pm

I agree with Ted -- you could spend more time and effort in the attempt to fix a bad shot than you would to get it right in a reshoot.

You could also ask the client to send a representative to make sure the new video is correct. Yes, it may take more time to placate this individual. But since this person would say "yes" or "no" on the video, you can't be blamed for any factual errors.

Establish some ground rules, though -- this person is present to judge the technical correctness of the video as it applies to the product/service. They're not there to comment on the lighting, the camera moves, how pretty the talent is, whether they like the talent's voice, whether they think the colors chosen are ugly... you get the idea.

You might think that there are far too many people on some big-bucks shoots. And that it takes far too long to do the shoot. It's all about getting it right the first time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]