ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Teleport punch?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Fisherman
Teleport punch?
on Apr 6, 2016 at 5:05:09 pm

How do I do an effect where someone tries to pumch someone, but that person teleports behind them? Maybe a video tutorial?

"It's all around us Neo, temporary constructs of time....."

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Teleport punch?
on Apr 6, 2016 at 7:13:19 pm

No need for a video tutorial.
Guy A is punching. Guy B is teleporting.
There are several ways to do it, but for any of them, just think of layers.

Here's one way:
Three shots.
Shot 1: Guy B standing in his initial position and reacting to the incoming punch.
Shot 2: Guy A punching
Shot 3: Guy B reacting to having teleported

Here's another way:
Three shots.
Shot 1: Guy B standing in his initial position and reacting to the incoming punch.
Shot 2: The room with nobody in it.
Shot 3: Guy A punching as Guy B reacts to the having teleported.

The second option would be useful if you want him to interact with or grab the puncher.

To make this easy, do all shots on a tripod with no camera movement and don't touch it between takes. It needs to be rock solid!

Now, you will need to cut some of the elements apart so that you can layer them. How you have the shot composed will determine how you layer the different elements. I mean, who is closest to the camera? Is the camera at 90 degrees to the action or a more interesting angle?

If you have it, a chroma screen (green screen or blue screen) would be very useful to put behind some of the people. Without it, you will have to resort to rotoscoping.

Rotoscoping is a painstaking process, but it can be made easier. Some useful tutorials and tips are available here [link].

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Apr 7, 2016 at 5:09:37 pm

For the actual teleportation effect, how would I make a cool effect for the person teleporting?

"It's all around us Neo, temporary constructs of time....."

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 7, 2016 at 6:15:40 pm

There are a number of ways teleportation has been shown in films. You could do a simple distortion effect or you could do a particle shockwave kind of thing.

If I were doing it, I would think about what is actually happening during teleportation. A space that was filled with a body is suddenly empty. That means a vacuum would be there. Air would rush to fill the space. So I would have a fan on set or someone with a big piece of poster board (or something) to create a whoosh of air. You'd see this in hair, papers, whatever. And, depending on how this person is doing the teleportation, perhaps a flash of light. Then there would be wind again as space that was just air is suddenly filled with solid body and the air gets displaced.

But then, I really like the teleportation effects for Nightcrawler in X2. That could be done with Particular (they did it with a fluid simulation, but that's unnecessary overkill).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]