ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Map Line Animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael DominicMap Line Animation
by on Apr 5, 2016 at 2:49:26 pm
Last Edited By Michael Dominic on Apr 5, 2016 at 2:49:12 pm

I am animating a map for a documentary about WW1.

I need to make the Western Front line and color animate from on position to the other. This would be easy if the line were made from paths–but the line was created in Photoshop and has a ripple and texture, and is rasterized (see image).

What I have done as a place holder is make a mask with a stroke and animated that, dissolving into the rasterized images at the start and end points.

I would like to somehow keep the look of the line during the animation. Or at least make it look seamless.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Map Line Animation
by on Apr 5, 2016 at 2:53:53 pm

I'd get rid of that original line altogether and make something similar looking in AE. A little turbulent displace would probably do it.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Map Line Animation
by on Apr 5, 2016 at 3:03:08 pm

If you really need the controlled shape of the line from point A to point B, you may want to look at morphing the line using Illustrator. Here's a good, quick tutorial on how it's done:

It's really pretty simple once you get it, and it gives you complete control.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Michael DominicRe: Map Line Animation
by on Apr 6, 2016 at 2:09:26 pm

So I went with a little of both things. I created two lines in Illustrator and then pasted them into AE at different key frames so they morph.

It works but I would love more control over the morph. I feel like the top part moves in to linear a way.

I'd like to have the center of the invasion through Belgium bugs a bit more. I little more wiggly in general.

I know that I can animate paths but there are so many points because I added the roughen effect in Illustrator it seems impossible.

Return to posts index

Michael DominicRe: Map Line Animation
by on Apr 9, 2016 at 1:17:11 pm

Anyone have a good idea?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved