ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Green Screen actor too transparent.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Murat AtamanGreen Screen actor too transparent.
by on Apr 3, 2016 at 8:26:59 am

This was my first shot on green screen and apparently my shots didn't come out all peachy. The medium close ups and close ups and a tad bit better and workable, but my full shot is quite transparent when she stands with a background I place her in front of and I'm having a difficult time fixing this.

As you can see in the attached picture, she's very transparent at her starting point even when I duplicate the clip x10, though she becomes fully visible when she turns and walks up to the camera (still has to be duplicated, otherwise it's transparent).

Is there anyway to fix this?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Green Screen actor too transparent.
by on Apr 4, 2016 at 6:16:01 am

Post a still of the chroma footage with no key. Describe how you're keying this (what plugin, plugin settings...). This will give us something to work with. The info you gave us does not tell much.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Murat AtamanRe: Green Screen actor too transparent.
by on Apr 7, 2016 at 10:01:29 am

Sorry, I didn't see your replies before, and yes I should've provided more info.

Here's the original greenscreen shot. It was my first attempt and I admit the lighting wasn't great, or proper. I wanted to light her from behind to separate her completely and the key is all the way to the left, I wanted to give her a "noir look" (though I admit I should've/could've done a better job).

I've had several problems with her completely becoming transparent when I used the keylight inside After Effects (I'm using CC 2015), partially I assume because of the lighting and maybe partially because of her dress color, however I realized that her skin and everything else also becomes transparent as in the pictures I have posted previously. However, when I used BCC keying studio it seems to have solved that transparency issue, though I'm still not getting the exactly look I want, as there's still light and color spilling around the edges (especially hair) as you will see in the pictures below.. I also used brightness and contrast to balance the lack of lightness and made her black and white completely to make her fit the background (although I wanted to just keep her dress color, but wasn't able to, you can see what I'm trying to get at with this), and I had problems with too much brightness when she walks up to the camera, but maybe it could be fixed by changing the brightness frame by frame? Please take a look, the keying should be better even with Adobe's own keylight inside after effects but doesn't..

1) The shot starts with her in a distance in a shadow because I wanted her to appear out of the shadow into the moonlight, so she goes from shadow to a better lit area.

4) (with brightness and contrast - it especially worked after I keyed it and placed her on rooftop where her cut was apparently darker than the city background behind her)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Green Screen actor too transparent.
by on Apr 4, 2016 at 2:15:05 pm

Ted is right -- please post a screen shot of the unkeyed footage. There are some common mistakes that can be made, and we will be able to tell.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Murat AtamanRe: Green Screen actor too transparent.
by on Apr 7, 2016 at 9:58:38 am

Thank you, I just did, please have a look.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved