ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Unfurling spiral

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed StablesUnfurling spiral
by on Apr 1, 2016 at 8:23:31 pm
Last Edited By Ed Stables on Apr 1, 2016 at 8:26:16 pm

I'm trying to generate a naturally unfurling spiral path, like the motion of unfurling a carpet. It need only be 2D. I know this kind of effect is actually pretty do-able in C4D, but it would be incredibly useful to have an unfurling motion path in AE, which could then be used in conjunction with Trapcode plugins, etc.

I have seen some things done with repeaters but they don't give me the animated path I need. In fact the longer I spend thinking about the problem, the more complicated it seems to be.

I have been using illustrator to measure the distance of each segment of my spiral. Then I've laid out all the lengths end to end in AE: the intersections between each are where my vertices need to end up. I've then taken my spiral path and used a 'Wheel' expression to set it rolling along the ground.

The first problem to address is that a spiral loses diameter as it unravels, affecting its rate of rotation.
The second big problem is that I need a way to keep vertices which are no longer rotating stationary, whilst continuing to revolve the rest of the spiral.

I would be amazed and very grateful if anyone had a solution.
Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved