ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Plexus--how can I make lines and/or points fade with distance from camera?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Reynolds
Plexus--how can I make lines and/or points fade with distance from camera?
on Apr 1, 2016 at 3:36:26 pm

Hello--I'm using Plexus 2 to get low-poly, point, and line renders of a dense forest of trees, using AE 2015 (and 2014). The problem I'm having is that I can't figure out how to get lines and points to fade over distance, so all the distant trees become a luminous wad of light. Is there a way to do this?

Return to posts index

Mark Reynolds
Re: Plexus--how can I make lines and/or points fade with distance from camera?
on Apr 3, 2016 at 7:06:37 pm

In case anyone else runs into this problem, the solution:

We've ended up just jettisoning Plexus and using Element 3D. Plexus seems to do one thing very beautifully, and not much else--it's just not meant for big and/or heavy geo. Mir doesn't allow OBJ import and Form only throws points on vertices. Plexus doesn't have any way discoverable to fade things out over distance (the shading effectors didn't do what we were looking for, and lighting only works with the facets, not lines and points), and using DoF just made a blurry bright wad in the background, so that didn't really solve the problem. So my solution was: use something else.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Plexus--how can I make lines and/or points fade with distance from camera?
on Apr 4, 2016 at 9:08:46 am

You can create a color map that fades to transparent and map that over XZ. You have to curve the fade to transparent exponentially for it to look right. That works unless you have to rotate the scene. For a rotating scene you would have to rotate the color map layer as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]