ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Beam Effect Colors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Morell
Beam Effect Colors
on Mar 28, 2016 at 2:37:17 pm

I know how to change the Inside and Outside colors of the beam effect. My objective is to apply one color to the beginning one third length of the beam, a different color to the middle one third length, and another color to the last one third length like so RED====GREEN====BLUE. I'm sure I'm missing a simple solution and any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Beam Effect Colors
on Mar 28, 2016 at 3:29:13 pm

Adjustment layers with masks and hue/saturation effects and the beam effect in a precomp might work.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Mar 28, 2016 at 4:55:38 pm

Use three copies of the Beam Effect.

Make the first effect settings:

Length 33,333%
time 25%
Composite on Original
Put your first color here and other settings how you want them, then

Duplicate effect, set time to 50% and change color

Duplicate effect, set time to 75% and change color

Link the duplicates Starting Points and End Points to those of the first effect.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Mar 28, 2016 at 3:48:05 pm

you could try a a combination of ramp and tritone....

add the ramp effect, enable expression for the start of ramp point and drag the expression pickwhip to the starting point property of the beam effect. the resulting expression will look like this: effect("Beam")("Starting Point"). then do the same for the end of ramp property to the ending point of the beam effect.

you should now have a gray gradient from start to end of your beam.

to colorize the gradient add the tritone effect. select the 3 colors you want and it should colorize the beam.

if you want defined changes in the colorizing, rather than smooth blending of colors, add the posterize effect before the tritone effect and set the levels to 3.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Sam Morell
on Mar 28, 2016 at 7:03:43 pm

Kevin,

Your suggestion using the ramp, tritone, and posterize effects worked! THANK YOU!

Do you offer consultation services for a fee? I'm relatively new to After Effects and would like to work with someone who is knowledgeable and available for various projects. If you can't, any recommendation would be appreciated.

Tried to private message you but not sure how CreativeCow does this. Let me know if you received this.

Thanks,

Sam

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Mar 28, 2016 at 7:48:15 pm

I did get a friend request (and accepted).

Due to the fact that I am currently employed full time, I probably can't take money for helping/consulting... plus I often get busy, sometimes very busy, with my own work and deadlines, and would likely run into some conflict with helping you with your projects and deadlines.

When I'm not too busy, I usually sift through posts here on the cow, and there are many of us here that can help with any questions you have. It's also nice to get multiple points of view.

Anyway, I'm I was able to help.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Sam Morell
on Mar 28, 2016 at 8:20:50 pm

Thanks Kevin . . . . certainly understand.

If you do know someone who would like to take on extra work with After Effects projects, please let me know.

Also, how does one send a private message on CreativeCow? I'm relatively new to this forum.

Sam

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 29, 2016 at 1:28:40 pm

You could always post in the Jobs Offered forums, for a freelancer or individual projects.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Sam Morell
on Mar 29, 2016 at 3:46:37 pm

Thanks John . . . . I'll check out the Jobs Offered forum.

Sam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]