ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Initial position (0,0) of any anchor point

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam BeckettInitial position (0,0) of any anchor point
by on Mar 25, 2016 at 11:20:25 pm

Hello everyone and first of all thank you very much for all the advice I have read during many years in this forum. It's time for me to share a a problem with you.
I have some troubles with the anchor point into different types of objects and I tried lots of tutorials and forums. They all expect the user to manipulate the anchor point exclusively with the mouse.

I manipulate the positions, dimentions, ... with scripts and I have to automatically center changing shapes according to each other. (centering the Y position of the center of a changing text according to the Y position of a changing shape)
To do so, I need to initialize the anchor point at (0,0) at the bottom left corner of the object for instance.

First example:
Into my composition I draw a rectangle with the shape tool.
Now the problem is that the origin of the anchor point doesn't correspond to any particular corner of the shape.
It seems to be initialized in the center of the composition.
I would like to have its origine anywhere noticeable in the shape (center or any corner)

Second example:
Now if I use the text tool and I type a string, the anchor point of this new object looks initialized on the bottom left corner. (But if we zoom in, it's not even in the corner..)
Now I modify the text adding a second line to it. The anchor point hasn't moved considering the first line so it looks somewhere not easy to manipulate whith expressions.
Of curse I can move it manually with the Ctrl key pressed to put it exactly on any handle of the object but the position won't be the origin (0;0)
-> As my text may change (in terms of length and number of lines) I can't center it automatically to another point.

Does someone have any way of initializing the anchor point of any object at (0,0) on the bottom left corner so that I can manipulate the positions with expressions even if the dimentions change?

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Initial position (0,0) of any anchor point
by on Mar 26, 2016 at 8:34:28 am

Perhaps it would be easier to include an offset amount calculation based on sourceRectAtTime rather than trying to move the actual anchor point?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved