ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Converting vector into mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cristiano frassinetiConverting vector into mask
by on Mar 24, 2016 at 8:39:51 am

Hi there, my first post here after a long time lurking around without signing up...
so, i think u can help me but i could not find something like this in the forum
i have a vector (.ai) and i imported it in after effects. Basically, i would like to use the stroke effect on it, but obviously the stroke effect only work with masks.
I managed to create a shape from the vector, but now i would like to convert the shape into a mask, or if it is possible to directly convert the vector into a mask.
The main problem here is that the shape is made by 39 paths, so it's not easy to copy/paste them into a new layer creating single masks. And if i try, the stroke effect do weird things.
Is there a way to do that in a few steps? I also tried a script but it doesn't work well...
sorry for my bad english, i'm italian :-)
thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Converting vector into mask
by on Mar 24, 2016 at 10:27:52 pm

if you can't copy/paste the paths from illustrator to a mask on a solid/layer to use the stroke effect, you may be able to achieve the stroke you are after by using the stroke property of the shape layer.

select the shape layer and locate the 'add' menu in the tools at the top window (usually above the preview panel, to the right of 'fill' and 'stroke'). click the 'add' menu and choose 'stroke'.

if you twirl down the shape layer properties, at the bottom of contents you should see 'stroke 1'. twirl that down to get to all of the stroke properties.

if you want the stroke to draw on/off you can add the 'trim paths' property from the same 'add' menu. the trim paths properties will be in the list of contents for the shape layer

if you need to remove the fill color from the shape layer, select the shape layer, then locate the 'fill:' item in the tools at the top of the window (a few from the left of the 'add' menu). click the text 'fill:' and click the red slash/diagonal line to set the fill to none.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved