ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rubbery Effect when animating with nulls

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivelina IvanovaRubbery Effect when animating with nulls
by on Mar 23, 2016 at 9:03:50 pm

So I am attempting to animate a dog character in After Effects. I have attached nulls and I believe I have parented everything properly. Let's take the legs for example. The bottom pin is parented to the middle pin which is parented to the top (hip) pin. So I rotate the hip pin to control the leg. The control works well, the only problem is the stretch. I have parented the heel to the toe and the toe is not parented to anything so that my feet don't float. I have used the starch tool to stiffen the movements, but still, the object distorts when I try to animate it and I get a rubbery quality. Here is an illustration of what I mean:

So my question is, how do I avoid this?
P.S. Ignore the weird second back leg, I don't know what I did with it, this happened while I was trying to fix the problem by playing with the extent properties, if I'm not mistaken.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rubbery Effect when animating with nulls
by on Mar 23, 2016 at 10:20:17 pm

It's extremely difficult to do what you want using a photograph with the Puppet Tool. Distortion is inevitable. You can't make it photorealistic.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Rubbery Effect when animating with nulls
by on Mar 24, 2016 at 1:46:57 pm

You would have to put several puppet pins pretty close to each other and have them all kind of tied together to kind of get that a bit less bendy looking.

You might look into something like DUIK and/or splitting parts of the legs off into their own layers vs. the puppet tool.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved