ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ink Bleed fade in???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael DominicInk Bleed fade in???
by on Mar 19, 2016 at 2:03:36 pm

My client wants the Uncle Sam: I Want You poster to fade up as if the ink is bleeding through the paper.

I have tried both methods below, but they look fake. I need it to look as real as possible.

Can anyone share a technique to achieve what I need to?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Ink Bleed fade in???
by on Mar 19, 2016 at 9:00:16 pm

Either spend more time then they did on refining your mattes or film actual black ink bleeding through actual paper and use that as a matte.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael DominicRe: Ink Bleed fade in???
by on Mar 19, 2016 at 9:11:37 pm

I have several different ink movie files. The problem is it looks like the image is appearing through clouds more than an ink bleed,

How would you refine the mattes?

I haven't seen any example where this looks good.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 19, 2016 at 9:38:46 pm

What you have are ink tank effects. You would need stock footage of ink actually bleeding through paper. And you'll need an old/handmade paper to really get the look you want. Modern paper is too clean and fine.

You would need to add a lot more complexity to the mattes. You would want several different effects in play too.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 19, 2016 at 9:40:41 pm

Thats one of the issues. The poster background is clean and has to be so.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 19, 2016 at 9:50:06 pm

The background can be clean, but you probably don't want your ink bleeds to be very clean.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ink Bleed fade in???
by on Mar 20, 2016 at 1:49:20 am

Look, don't rely on magic. Grab some blotter paper. Grab a camera. Get some ink or someting. Shoot the paper soaking it up. Use it as a track matte. It looks real. You're done.

Or continue farting around with effects in AE and grasping at straws.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 20, 2016 at 12:13:06 pm

I'm not relying on magic. I have several real ink bleating on paper videos. The problem is that there feels like a disconnect between the ink and image.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 23, 2016 at 5:04:07 pm

Have different ink bleeds bring in different sections of the image. Check out the credits from Sherlock. Each image is cut up into several pieces and different bits of ink are revealing each piece.

Also, consider using different ink shots layered on top of each other to work together on revealing each section. Like, one brings in a 15% opacity version and the next brings it to 46%, and a third in bleed brings it to 100%, etc.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Fredrik ÅkerlundRe: Ink Bleed fade in???
by on Mar 23, 2016 at 11:26:47 pm

I belive the problem is that revealing the whole image in one "ink bleed" is just so unrealistic so the human eye can´t really make sense of what´s going on. Never having done any ink bleeds I had to try and at best I made a pretty cool film burn effect. Cool but not what we´re after. :) To make it belivable I think you have to start out in a way that says to the eye "Hello, this is an ink bleed" and build it up to the full reveal. I made a quick and dirty proof of concept video just trying out my idea:

I separated the over all main colors of the poster (blue, skin, white, red), revealed them one at a time and then finished off with the complete picture. Now, keep in mind that this is just 30 minutes work and the same ink matte used over and over again but I think the idea is worth trying out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]