ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE + Particular - Trigger Turbulance on Bounce Event?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan BruchAE + Particular - Trigger Turbulance on Bounce Event?
by on Mar 16, 2016 at 7:28:18 am

Hi there.

I am trying to replicate this effect:

The video looks a lot like Particular, wich I am using too. I already got the basic graph working by animating the emitter through a audio-to-keyframes null.

But i have problems with the end of the graph. In the video above, it looks like that at a certain point, the particles trigger a turbulence field or wind effect and start to twirl around.

Having used pflow in 3Dsmax i thought i could just create a plane and say that from this point on the particles react differently. But it seems like its not so easy in Particluar.

The Bounce physics + AUX combo dont allow be to use a force field on bounce event and enabling a turbulance field and delay it for some seconds doesnt give me the desired result.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Mike SevignyRe: AE + Particular - Trigger Turbulance on Bounce Event?
by on Mar 16, 2016 at 3:37:26 pm

Yeah, particular is no PFlow.

There is no velocity or turbulence over time but you can use tricks to achieve this. Under Physics > Air > Spherical Field you can add a spherical force from any 3D point. I suspect that they used this in the example above given how the particles are changing direction at that exact point.

Hopefully we'll get the proper features to customize these settings in future versions but for now we can use spherical fields to simulate certain physics like the example above. Like I said, it's no PFlow.

Mike Sevigny

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: AE + Particular - Trigger Turbulance on Bounce Event?
by on Mar 16, 2016 at 4:29:36 pm

You can change the amount of time it takes for the turbulence to kick in using Particular, but I'm not sure that'll do exactly what you want.

The clever solution would be two instances of particular. One that emits particles that die at a certain point and the second emitter is set up right at that point and is emitting particles that are affected by turbulence. You just have to offset that emitter's movement.

Alternatively, you may be able to have one emitter with an aux system set to trigger when the particles die and set the aux particles to match the main ones except that they're affected by turbulence?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved