ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to do a Slit Scan tunnel (hypothetical question)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kk AkuokuHow to do a Slit Scan tunnel (hypothetical question)
by on Mar 14, 2016 at 2:50:28 am

I've had this idea ringing in my head to work on a slit scan tunnel effect along the lines of 1970s Doctor Who in AE. What I really want to do is work with an analog base photo and handle the rest digitally. I've already learned that the pattern they used to make the Dr. Who tunnel is made from strips of polythene (what they use to make plastic grocery bags) between two polarising filters; what I would do is shoot a photo of that pattern, take it into AE, and move it across the screen with a circular slit mask. The problem is I don't know how to go about it properly. My brain tells me to move my pattern behind the slit and then use Echo, but I have the suspicion that it's not enough. Can anyone confirm that this is an effective way to go about it or otherwise?

An example of the tunnel effect:

(also the person who made this has a download link to the pattern so you can try it yourself, check the comments)

And here's another one (it starts at the :25 mark):

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to do a Slit Scan tunnel (hypothetical question)
by on Mar 14, 2016 at 1:16:30 pm

Here is an old tutorial, Flying through a tunnel in After Effects that should get you started in the right direction.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Kk AkuokuRe: How to do a Slit Scan tunnel (hypothetical question)
by on Mar 15, 2016 at 8:33:13 pm

Thanks for the advice, but I think that effect feels a bit too much like present day Dr. Who for my taste, especially since you have the option to move the vortex in different directions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved