ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Effecting a premultiplied layer with a mask ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
remy mainzEffecting a premultiplied layer with a mask ?
by on Mar 11, 2016 at 4:44:16 pm

I want to blur part of one layer that is pre-multiplied and therefore has another layer visible behind it.
If I want to blur part of this layer I have to use an adjustment layer with a mask. But that still effects all layers below it. I just want my single pre-multiplied layer effected.

I know this should be simple and that I could do it with pre-compose but thats messy and doesnt allow me to adjust the mask in position while seeing the below layers. Making me constantly having to go back and forth between comps.
I have trawled looking for an answer here and elsewhere always finding only how to use an adjustment layer or track matte which also doesn't do the above.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Effecting a premultiplied layer with a mask ?
by on Mar 12, 2016 at 12:11:36 am

the best way I can think of is to use a pre-comp, but have both comp viewers open, so as you manipulate the mask for the adjustment layer, you can see the results in the main comp.

open both comp in the timeline. you'll notice in the upper-left corner of the view that both comp names are preset. also notice that there is little lock next to the comp view tab.

click the lock to lock the view to the current comp in the timeline.

now click the other comp name in the upper-left of the comp view and that comp should open in a second view tab. click the lock in that tab too.

now you should be able to make adjustment in the pre-comp and see it update in the other.

to undo all that, click the locks in the comp view tabs to unlock them and close one of the viewers.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

remy mainzRe: Effecting a premultiplied layer with a mask ?
by on Mar 14, 2016 at 10:18:40 am

thanks Kevin

This has always bugged me about after effects. The main reason for me why AE is so unintuitive is that you cant simply effect part of one layer.
Either effects on layers should have their own masks or the Adjustment layer should be switchable to all below or only below layer. So simple.
Precomposing is like juggling when you cant see the other balls.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved