ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Character Offset Woes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles FerranCharacter Offset Woes
by on Mar 11, 2016 at 3:54:05 am

Hello CC!

I'm having a frustrating thing happening to me that I'm sure is a checkbox somewhere I'm missing.

When I put a character offset on a text layer and then change offset, it changes, but it changes every character to the same character. I'm doing numbers only, (clock face) and they all change, but all zeroes turns to all ones, etc. I want them to change separately, (0000 becomes 3289 or 5639 instead of 1111, 4444, etc)

What am I missing here?

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270
http://www.charlesferran.com

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Character Offset Woes
by on Mar 11, 2016 at 6:27:13 pm

You'd need to select individual characters to do this, instead of the entire layer.

I take it AE's Numbers effect doesn't cut it for your purposes.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Charles FerranRe: Character Offset Woes
by on Mar 11, 2016 at 8:54:43 pm

Hi Dave! My favorite person on CC ;)

Is it because they're numbers? I'm seeing videos of people using this effect and having all the characters generate individually. What am I missing?

I think for now I can make 'numbers' work though, thanks Dave!

Charles Ferran
845-699-5270
http://www.charlesferran.com

"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with the poor spirits who neither enjoy much, nor suffer much because they live in a gray twilight that knows no victory or defeat."

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Character Offset Woes
by on Mar 11, 2016 at 10:41:19 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Camp on Mar 11, 2016 at 10:44:10 pm

you can set the character offset value of the animator (to say 6) and then animate the 'offset' value of the range selector (not the 'character offset' value), and if the 'based on' value is left at the default 'characters', then each number will sequentially count from 0 to 6... however that's not exactly how a clock would count...

--- edit ----

actually if the offset value was 6, then animating the offset would cause each digit to count from 6 to 0....

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]