ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Bullet trail?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Fisherman
Bullet trail?
on Mar 8, 2016 at 2:10:15 pm

Im looking to create a bullet trail with trapcode particular, but whenever i make it and displace it, it doesn't look anything like, even with the osciilations expression I've put on particular. What's the best way to do it?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Bullet trail?
on Mar 8, 2016 at 2:50:40 pm

here's a tutorial from hitfilm to make a bullet trail. It uses it's own set of plugins, but you should be able to take the technique and do it in AE with particular, displacement mapping. If there's a specific part that you have trouble adapting, come back and let ask, but I think it's pretty straight forward.

Bullet Trail

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 9, 2016 at 1:38:54 pm

Well, I thinkI get the basic idea, so basically I'm gonna animate the bullet in c4d, and when I go back in AE, do I parent the particular to the c4d file? I know this is supposed to be straightforward, but I tend to become slightly confused when it comes to something like this.

"It's all around us Neo, temporary constructs of time....."

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 9, 2016 at 4:08:57 pm

In C4D you will either need to add a external composite tag to your bullet(if you are moving the bullet position), or export the camera data to After Effects. In your render settings, under Save you need to check "Save" and make sure the target application is After Effects. With the C4D tag you will use that information to apply to an emitter in AE(light).

If you aren't using the CC version of AE, you will need the C4D importer. When you render from C4D , it will create a .aec file along with your renders. You will just import that into AE and that's how you get your tags.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 9, 2016 at 7:56:07 pm

I'm using the Cc edition, so I'm good there. So basically, I animate the bullet as needed, and then I go back to After Effects and then I.....I just make the solid with Particular and parent it?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 9, 2016 at 9:23:12 pm

Using a CS6 edition, so I have to render it out. So I'm not sure how using the C4D plugin in AE works with compositing tags, but essentially you have it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 9, 2016 at 9:44:07 pm

Ok, whatever , I got that. Let's say I export the file. Would I then create a new solid, and apply particular to it, and then parent it to the c4d file?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 10, 2016 at 11:41:48 am

Yes, you would export it with a external composite tag applied to the bullet. When you import the C4D.aec, there will be a 200x200 solid, that will follow the bullets path in 3d space. You will create a new solid, add particular, and then create a light. You will parent the light to the solid(holding shift so the light moves to where the solid is located). In particular you will change your emitter to "lights". Now particular will follow the bullet in 3D space.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 10, 2016 at 1:58:26 pm

In the CC version, I just:

1) Use the 3D Camera Tracker to track the footage
2) Create a null off of one of thr tracking points
3) export the camera and null as a c4d file
4) edit the c4d file in cinema 4D
5) once done animating, go back to After Effects, the changes are already made in AE
6) Then should I make the new solid?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 10, 2016 at 2:08:01 pm
Last Edited By John Cuevas on Mar 10, 2016 at 2:12:46 pm

This video shows how to use the external compositing tag from C4D to AE using Cineware at around 2 minutes. You want to apply a tag to the bullet, so that the particle emitter you create for displacement follows the bullet. If you are still having issues, I would suggest posting in the C4D forum. As I said before, I am not using the Cineware version currently, so my knowledge is a bit limited.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 10, 2016 at 7:47:49 pm

Omg, that is freakin' awesome! I think I understand now. So just apply that external compositing tag to the bullet (each of them, or just one of them?) and then make that solid and extract the data, and then make the particular solid and parent it to the c4d solid?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 10, 2016 at 9:05:24 pm

pretty much. Except you need to make a 3D light in AE and shift-pickwhip (parent) it to the solid. This light will be your emitter. Change the name of the light to "emitter" In particular, under the emitter pulldown, change the emitter to "Lights". You will need to apply an external composite to each bullet, for each displacement map you need to make.

Don't parent particular layer to the 3D solid layer. Particular looks 3D and behaves 3D, but it's a 2D effect. Turn a particular layer into 3D, adjust the rotation and you will see it's not truly 3D, but a projection of 3D.

Hope that explains it.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 11, 2016 at 12:01:26 am

ok so to get things straight before i proceed, i apply the tag to each bullet, go into ae and make the particular on the solid, create a new light in ae, parent it to the particle solid, and change the emitter to the light. ok. So about the displacement....what do i pre-compose to apply the displacement map to?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 11, 2016 at 2:43:54 pm

You would precomp everything you needed to make your bullet displacement layers, the particular layer, light & solid parent, any cameras that lights are using.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 12, 2016 at 7:59:50 pm

You said pickwhip the light to the solid. Did you mean the soild created from C4D?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 10, 2016 at 11:47:28 am

Here's a tutorial showing how to save and import into AE from C4D

http://greyscalegorilla.com/tutorials/how-to-export-your-scene-from-cinema-...

External copositing tag

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 12, 2016 at 8:11:15 pm

Okay, I'm stuck. I made the soild from C4D. I parented the light to it and changed the emitter to the light. For some reason, I can't move particular around and I don't see the particles. Why?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 14, 2016 at 12:56:56 pm

Can you post a screen grab of your timeline and comp window. 2nd to last icon above.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

Return to posts index

Paul Fisherman
on Mar 14, 2016 at 2:39:33 pm

Okay, nevermind I figured that out. But now my problem is making the trail look displaced and the displacement map makes it look really weird. All I do is duplicate my base footage and set the duplicated footage to a guide layer, create a new camera, and then take the guide layer, the camera, and the solid containing the particular and then pre-compose them. Then? Apply the displacement map to the pre-comp and then......then what? It looks weird.......help?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 16, 2016 at 1:04:35 pm

This thread is getting a bit large and off topic. You should start a new thread for the new question with a bit of a better header, so others may offer advice.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]