ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Question about seemingly basic animation in Element

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobias Van KleeckQuestion about seemingly basic animation in Element
by on Mar 4, 2016 at 5:09:06 pm

Long time AE user, Total Element 3D novice here. This problem is driving me mad.

I’m trying to learn about animating between groups for text animation. My limited understanding is that when the Animation Engine is enabled (and keyframed), it will animate that text between the differed settings set in the Groups' twirl-down menus (scale, rotation, scatter, etc).

Right now my text just appears to either scale up or move forward in z space over the time of the keyframed Animation setting in the Animation Engine. I cannot for the life of me understand why.

I realize this could have something to do with the Scene Setup but, I of course am not sure. Here are some facts of the Element layer and AE comp:

-the Extrusion model is the only thing in the highlighted Group 1 in the Element Scene Setup, in other words, there is only one group in the Scene Setup (to my knowledge)
-camera is not animated
-Groups 1 & 2 in AE effects panels are identical
-Animation engine is enabled
-group direction is set to Backwards

I’ve watched many tutorials and still can’t figure this out. Anyway help would be GREATLY appreciated and big thanks in advance for any assistance!

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Question about seemingly basic animation in Element
by on Mar 4, 2016 at 7:53:15 pm

It doesn't animate between your settings within the same group. But between two groups.

You have to go into element's interface and duplicate your text group there. Set this duplicate as group 2. Then do the transformations you want on this second group. So you can transition between the two.

The reason you're seeing it scale is because you have no second group. So it is transitioning to nothing.

Cassius Marques

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Question about seemingly basic animation in Element
by on Mar 4, 2016 at 8:27:01 pm

Sounds as if you need to start with the E3D tutorials on their site:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved