ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How is this done?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Chircu
How is this done?
on Mar 4, 2016 at 10:51:26 am

I`m interested in how they created that whole 60s black and white kind of drew with pencils effect of their video. Is it a 2D/3D animation? Is it just an effect on a real video?

The movement of the characters seems laggy, which I guess was intended to be in the first place. The camera also moves slow and seems laggy, which leads me to believe it might not be a real video but a 3D one or 2D.

What do you guys believe real video or animation? How do you think it was done?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: How is this done?
on Mar 4, 2016 at 11:05:55 am

Could be part animation and part rotoscoped real footage that has been stylized.

Return to posts index

Adrian Chircu
on Mar 4, 2016 at 11:50:50 am

So what you`re saying is that they rotoscoped, let`s say just the real people and the rest is animated and they just combined it right?

Do you have any idea with what they could of stylized the video to get those colors? Im guessing color correction and just adding black and white won`t work.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 4, 2016 at 12:06:57 pm

First - it's a combination of various pieces coming from different sources, so the techniques used are diverse.
http://www.thefader.com/2015/11/09/zhu-premieres-video-for-skrillex-collab-...
Second, the look - any 2.5 D animated or 3D animated piece, or any video piece, can be stylized using Toonit/RedGiant. There are presets that can be tweaked that give you that Frank Miller comic book look.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Adrian Chircu
on Mar 4, 2016 at 7:00:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. It kind of points me in the right direction. Since no one can`t know exactly what went into the making of the video, I guess replicating it exactly like the video, is not the case here.

I really don`t want to create another thread just to ask a similar thing so maybe someone can help me about this 2nd video.

I already have the DIY green screen and lights to achieve the background of this video but what bothers me is that I don`t know how to achieve that shadow like figure [the dancers]. I guess it has something to do with the blending options and color correction.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 9, 2016 at 2:21:42 pm

Don't overthink it- it is a drop shadow, sharp edge, no diffusion, just with a high transparency and different color (pink, red, violet ...). It you want more control, you can use the shadow only on a second layer under the dancer shape.

And- it's always best to start a new thread, otherwise your new question may get lost.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Adrian Chircu
on Mar 12, 2016 at 10:18:38 pm

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]