ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Controllable Scaling X,Y axis via Amplitude

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip KamControllable Scaling X,Y axis via Amplitude
by on Mar 2, 2016 at 10:09:49 pm

Hey there folks,
I know what I am about to ask sounds a little lazy and maybe rude to some, but I am a total newbie at expressions and have no idea how to do it at all.

What I want to do, is, to sync the scaling of a round object to an audio amplitude. As example, I want the X-axis to follow the left channel and the y-axis to follow the right channel and make the amplitude controllable via a slider control.

It works just fine with a mouth (i.e. pre-composing the mouth and using a time-remap, then linking the precomp to the amplitude and so on). However, I don't seem to get anything to work with a simple round object (a circle).

I currently use the wiggle-scale premade expression, which does give some good results, but it could be better and synced to your audio recording.

Can you guys still follow me?

At the end and once everything is hooked up, it should look like the ball is talking (while the audio is playing). So there isn't an actual mouth involved, the "body" (the circle) is moving while it is talking.

I could give you chaps examples of how it currently looks with the wiggle. It may help you to understand what I tried to describe.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Greg C NeumayerRe: Controllable Scaling X,Y axis via Amplitude
by on Mar 3, 2016 at 5:49:52 am

It sounds like you're simply asking about linking amplitude to scale.
If so, try this tutorial by Dan Ebberts:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved