ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Horizontal lines in certain colors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelsey ShannonHorizontal lines in certain colors
by on Feb 28, 2016 at 1:50:35 am

Here's a teaser. I couldn't find any information on this.

When I import .avi files from the A7s into AE CS5, these lines appear. Mostly in the reds but here it's showing up all over the place. It's not that bad when you see the full image, but you can definitely see it on a large screen. It's annoying as hell!

It's not on the footage itself. It's not a rendering issue. These lines show up as soon as it's imported.

Please help! It's making me nuts and I have a big project coming up that this will totally ruin for me. Help me Obi-Wan! You're my only hope!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Horizontal lines in certain colors
by on Feb 28, 2016 at 4:46:02 pm

I don't know beans about specific cameras. Is there ANY possibility this footage is interlaced? Interlacing accounts for a lot of instances of lines.
I'm on a phone & can't see your post -- did you mention anything about codec, frame rate and H&V dimensions?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kelsey ShannonRe: Horizontal lines in certain colors
by on Feb 28, 2016 at 5:51:53 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for the response!

Well, I'm kind of new to this but let me see if I can give you more detail.

I'm using XAVC S - 1080p at 24p. Not sure what "H&V Dimensions" are. It looks like it could be interlaced but I thought it was a progressive scan.

It doesn't show up anywhere but in AE CS5. I was thinking that I might need some type of upgrade in the color management but I'm just not that tech savy to know what I need to do.

Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 28, 2016 at 5:54:45 pm

Oh ok. I'm an idiot. It's 24p which would make that progressive scan. Sorry. :)

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Horizontal lines in certain colors
by on Feb 28, 2016 at 7:53:19 pm

try re-encoding it in handbrake into quicktime png or something before importing into AE. There's a very small chance its a bug in the importing engine.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 28, 2016 at 9:23:09 pm

That actually works but it degrades the image in other way's. Could be that I'm doing it wrong though. I'll keep messing with it.

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Horizontal lines in certain colors
by on Feb 28, 2016 at 9:42:44 pm

strange! quicktime png is lossless. did you change the resolution, aspect ratio or anything?

is it looking washed out or contrasty?

It could be a color management issue to correct with AE's project working space or utility profile converter Rec. 709
or it could be a LUT issue to correct with AE's effect-Apply LUT . It should be S-log 2(if that's what you shot in)

some slog2 to rec 709 LUTs
http://www.xdcam-user.com/2014/08/set-of-20-cube-luts-for-the-sony-a7s/
http://www.eoshd.com/2014/07/grading-sony-a7s-s-log-2-eoshd-cinematic-looks...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Horizontal lines in certain colors
by on Feb 29, 2016 at 3:04:05 pm

Well, you may have a problem. How big? Yet to be determined.
First thing, highlight a problem clip in the AE project window. Look at the info at the top. What's the frame rate? Is it 29.97? It was shot at 23.976 fps but it contains 3:2 pulldown to make it 29.97 fps.

Next - does this problem clip originate in a different application like a video editor? If yes, ALL of your footage has 3:2 pulldown. You have to remove it before you do anything else. If you already started editing, you have to start over.

Why? It may look fine in your editor, but it isn't progressive 23.976, aka 23.98, aka 24p. It's 29.97. As you've already noticed, the pulldown is still present and if you don't remove it, it will continue to plague you throughout the production process.

You might luck out. The original footage may be 23.976. I doubt it, but it could happen and you'll just have to live with those lines. However, I'm putting my money on footage that was shot at 24p, recorded at 29.97 with 3:2 pulldown, and ingested at 29.97 with no pulldown removal. I'm putting my money on a lot of work on your part to get rid of it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's my assessment of the problem.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]