ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Let's discuss how the hell this video works

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Farron
Let's discuss how the hell this video works
on Feb 22, 2016 at 4:37:36 am

Ok. I love this video, it gives me a birdman vibe, just the cinematography is brilliant. Now, me being a rookie at filming, and I would love to learn editing techniques such as thing, how on earth does the weeknd appear in moving footage in the same shots together behind and in front of objects while the camera floats everywhere? It's VERY interesting, and while I do know how to clone, moving camera cloning is a mystery to me. Any explanations?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Let's discuss how the hell this video works
on Feb 22, 2016 at 5:47:49 am

Which video are we talking about?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Adam Farron
on Feb 22, 2016 at 1:02:20 pm

Whoops!!! Here

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 22, 2016 at 1:51:52 pm

[Adam Farron] "Any explanations?"

You'd need a very good cinematographer, really good planning and an expensive as hell motion control rig. You'd shoot the exact same motion with the cast in the picture and a clean plate with only the room in it. Comp the plates in post using difference mattes and/or rotoscoping.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 22, 2016 at 4:44:08 pm

you'd want to look into tracking jib, something like this:

and a lot of practice.

you could look into a dslr steadicam rig:

(and a lot of practice), though the opening shot would be difficult with a steadicam.

also, your example was likely shot in one continuous take, so there is a lot of planning and directing going on to get people in and out of the shot as the camera continues to roll.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Adam Farron
on Feb 22, 2016 at 7:26:56 pm

See, I figured it was just a bunch of him running around, which was certainly possible by how slow the camera was, but that opening shot with both of him there in front and behind him while the camera moved blew my mind

Return to posts index

Brian M. Finn
on Feb 24, 2016 at 1:50:18 am

There are motion control rigs that have a memory in them and can recreate the same exact motion and placement more than once. These are multiple takes composited together and looks seamless because it is essentially "cutting" with masks into the similarly moving shot.

Return to posts index

Adam Farron
on Feb 24, 2016 at 1:54:47 am

Would that mean screening the two composites work too theoretically? Assuming the lighting and everything is the same, I don't see why a screen wouldn't work.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 24, 2016 at 7:46:37 am

Depends on what kind of pixels you have in the image and what kind of image the pixels are going to be blended with. I wouldn't count on that.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 24, 2016 at 8:01:38 am

Here's an example: Original footage on the left. The same thing screened on itself on the right.

http://i.imgur.com/Jc7P7ab.jpg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]