ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any way to smoothly speed up footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dule Bajin
Any way to smoothly speed up footage?
on Feb 15, 2016 at 5:19:18 pm

(First of all, English is not my native language)

I have a PNG sequence of some car drive through the city.
Of course video was shaky because driving through the city streets can't be so smooth.
I applied warp stabilizer to the video and then render it into image sequence... but still when I speed up that sequence to the speed that I want - video is still very shaky.

Is there any trick to speed up the footage but to make it look smooth and fluent.... no shaky?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Any way to smoothly speed up footage?
on Feb 15, 2016 at 5:25:51 pm

Try stabilizing it after you speed it up. Depending on your settings, Warp Stabilizer won't remove all the movement, but just smooth it out, so speeding speeding up the footage will still make the movement more noticeable and appear as a shake.

Return to posts index

Dule Bajin
on Feb 15, 2016 at 7:46:06 pm

I tried already. Maybe I did something wrong, but after I speed it up and then stabilized result is disaster - it cut at least half of the resolution and still shaking even more than before stabilizing...

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 15, 2016 at 8:39:07 pm

if you take stabilized footage and speed it up, it might end up looking shaky again because you're exagerating all the bumps ae tried to reduce in the first place. Are you speeding it up whole frames, frame blend, or pixel blend?

I would first make sure that the stabilized footage is locked down 100%. Any perturbations will need to be almost zero.

If it still doesn't work, either try another method of warp stabilizing or try some other methods.

there's a free deshaker for virtualdub which might give the desired stabilization. then speed it up in ae or premiere with optical flow.

if all that still doesn't work, precomp footage, drop the precomp into another layer. timestretch it 50% and apply timewarp 50%. This will average out the shakyness by warping all frames and returning the averaged motion optically.

Return to posts index

Dule Bajin
on Feb 18, 2016 at 10:41:21 pm

Thanks for advice.

Eventually what I did was to precompose the video into new composition, and then precompose it again...
In last composition I applied motion tracking by locking trackpoint to one small detail at the end of the street in the middle of screen (which is visible through entire footage) and then slowly carefully stabilized with constant corrections...
That gave me kinda stable video but still swinging on left and right sides because it is only one track point (it wasn't possible to find two visible through entire footage).

Then I went back to previous composition and cropped out black edges.
Then went to first composition and applied warp stabilizer which made everything smoother.

Then I rendered everything as PNG sequence.
And then applied warp stabilizer one more time to that new already stabilized PNG sequence....

I think that I have maximum possible stabilization now before speed it up...

I lost some resolution and quality because of that, but I will compensate that partially.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 18, 2016 at 10:59:53 pm

You may want to consider upgrading to the foundry's 3d tracker or syntheyes for professional results. They can add/remove track points as you go, lens distortion, etc.

Return to posts index

Dule Bajin
on Feb 23, 2016 at 2:54:29 am

I am not sure how to stabilize video with foundry 3d tracker?
I know how to use it to put an object inside the video, but I don't know how to stabilize video with it.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 23, 2016 at 4:00:42 am

not the camera tracker, the furnace tracker.
https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/plugins/furnace/features/

"Steadiness automatically tracks and removes translational and rotational camera shake, without requiring the user to select tracking points. This is particularly helpful if you have insufficient stable points for conventional tracking, or where good data points continually move off the screen during a sequence. It also allows motion-smoothing to remove high-frequency camera shake without affecting the underlying camera motion, and can be used to remove minor scale and perspective shifts."

also:
I use syntheyes which is really easy to use. very powerful, used in big budgets.
https://www.ssontech.com/tutes/tutestabil.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]