ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Beat remapping for video clips: Move markers in master segment, other segments time-stretch to align their markers with master.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Sage
Beat remapping for video clips: Move markers in master segment, other segments time-stretch to align their markers with master.
on Feb 13, 2016 at 2:34:12 pm
Last Edited By Greg Sage on Feb 13, 2016 at 2:46:41 pm

After attempting several other methods, this appears to be the way I want to tackle a few related sync issues, I just need to figure out how to do it.

Basically, I have a bunch of clips of clips that are not rigidly timed, and I wish to remap them so their markers slave to those of a master timing track (audio track with markers on beats.) These clips do not themselves contain audio, so I will need to go through and find the appropriate marker points visually. Once I do, they will be irregular, so parts of the clip will need to speed up, parts will need to slow down.

Essentially, I am looking to do what in audio is referred to as beat remapping. It's as if I have a master beat, and some erratic drumming samples, and I want to smooth out the irregularities in the samples and make them line up with the master beat. Beyond that, though, I want to make it very easy to change the tempo or anything like that, so any changes I make to the master should be able to then cause all the slave markers to realign and re- time map the clips.

Hopefully this makes sense. There are already various tools to do this in Logic with audio. I'm assuming it's doable in AE with video clips, I just don't know which terms to look into. And, of course, I want it to look good. I realize this involves a lot of frame interpolation, so if there is a plugin like twixtor or something like that that will give higher quality results, then I want to figure out how to incorporate it into the workflow.

This same concept has occurred to me on other projects as well where I am creating a template from which many derivative versions are created, and the master track changes, so i want to be able to just create a few key master markers, move them once, and have everything else realign to match those markers. Is there already a name for this? Is it already built into AE?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]