ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Making text appear as an object passes by?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin WhitelawMaking text appear as an object passes by?
by on Feb 13, 2016 at 12:46:41 am

This is probably really easy to do but I also wanted to see which way is best.

I have just a simple square that goes across the screen, passing over some text. I want the text to appear as the square passes over it. I figured I could mask it and it would be simple but someone mentioned that a Track Matte is easier. I didn't know what that was until now, and I did the square's alpha on my text. Gave it a really nice effect, but the only problem is it will only show the text on the part that the square is on. So I need to find a way to keep any text that it has already passed over.

Should I just do a mask or how can I use the track matte and make the text stay?

Return to posts index

Paul FishermanRe: Making text appear as an object passes by?
by on Feb 13, 2016 at 2:06:19 am

Animate its opacity?

"Why, Mr. Anderson? Why, why, why? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Making text appear as an object passes by?
by on Feb 13, 2016 at 6:07:25 am

Who says your square has to be the track matte? How 'bout using a comp-sized solid or something like that? Just parent it to the square. Done.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved