ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animated Drop Pins

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mat ReynoldsAnimated Drop Pins
by on Feb 12, 2016 at 3:15:05 pm

I'm trying to create a video, and part of it is to zoom in from Space, to where our Head Office is located.

Halfway through the zoom, I will slow down the animation, and drop 9 pins where all of our local branches are located, and then continue to zoom down to our Head Office.

I have seen plenty of animated pins on YouTube etc, but I can't find a decent tutorial. I'm guessing it's a case of a decent PNG file for the pin, some masking, and then key frames for the pins position.

I would also like to have text appear next to each pin to give the name of the location.

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animated Drop Pins
by on Feb 12, 2016 at 4:51:27 pm

A lot of it depends on what you're seeing in your mind's eye for these pins.
If they're the kind of push pins with the big, round heads you might have to go to a 3D application to animate them -- there will be a very noticeable perspective change as they move.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mat ReynoldsRe: Animated Drop Pins
by on Feb 12, 2016 at 5:18:36 pm

I'm thinking either a marker like the Google Maps marker, or a 2D image of a cartoon guy we use on our vans.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Animated Drop Pins
by on Feb 12, 2016 at 8:49:45 pm

In that case, it would just be a matter of parenting your little cartoon guy to one of your earth layers and keyframing the position of your cartoon guy to make him drop and land. (If you want to get fancy, move the anchor point to the bottom and animate the scale down a bit in the y-axis when it lands to give it a bit of squash).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mat ReynoldsRe: Animated Drop Pins
by on Feb 15, 2016 at 3:54:45 pm

Are there any presets or anything that can be used as an effective appearance or a wobble.

similar to these effects

or this

What would be the best thing to search for to get a good tutorial?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved