ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fake 90's pulldown effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ike Hanson
Fake 90's pulldown effect?
on Feb 11, 2016 at 6:40:10 pm

I'd like to simulate the old 90's pulldown look of tv-movies, where every 5th frame is a blend of two frames. I'm starting with 24p footage and I'm having for it to end up at any framerate, just as long as it has that distinct artificial motion look. Using the real pulldown settings doesn't seem to be too effective, so i was wondering if it could be simulated using expressions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Fake 90's pulldown effect?
on Feb 11, 2016 at 7:34:45 pm

AE's pulldown settins are meant to REMOVE 3:2 pulldown.

If you want to retain it, just shoot 24p on a camera that records the file at 29.97; 1080, not 720. Then just import the clip into AE, and interpret the field order as Upper Field First. You're all set.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ryan kelly
on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:12:12 pm

You could take your 24p clip and render it out inserting pulldown pattern in the render settings (the resulting clip will become 29.97). This will give you a file with 3 whole frames followed by 2 split field frames. This might not be what you want because you're introduciing fields into your footage.

you might have better luck playing around with precomps and timewarp, time stretch, or twixtor, etc. to get the feel you want without introducing fields

Return to posts index

Ike Hanson
on Feb 11, 2016 at 9:36:03 pm

Yes, that was my idea, some kinda of way of automatically blending every 5th frame or something, but I can't quite figure out the approach to use. It would introduce the desired motion anomaly that should sufficiently simulate the look I'm going for.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 11, 2016 at 11:38:06 pm

Oh, now I get it. This too is also easy -- import your 23.976 footage. Put it in a 29.97 timeline. The hitch in motion you seek will be right there.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ike Hanson
on Feb 12, 2016 at 12:04:03 am

That will just make it judder, I'm looking to have every fifth frame blended with the sixth frame, so it has the smoothed judder that the pulldown incurs.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 12, 2016 at 12:57:25 am

Well, then I guess I've never seen what you're referring to. I've always seen repeated frames when 23.976 was plopped into a 29.97 timeline and exported.

"Judder" is a different term entirely -- it refers to the jerky looking motion encountered when a camera moves at just the wrong speed, and it happens more often at low frame rates.

"Pulldown" is also a different term entirely. It's the process of equally-distributing 24 frames of film across 30 television frames by using a cadence of split frames to whole frames and interlaced video. It's how they play back movies on TV.... and you don't see repeated frames on TV.

Where'd you ever see this business of repeated, yet half-dissolved frames, anyway? Do you have any examples? I've never run across it in more than 20 years in broadcast TV.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Feb 12, 2016 at 12:04:19 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Feb 12, 2016 at 3:40:10 am

maybe your thinking of frame blending.
1. drop 24fps into 29.97fps comp
2. enable comp frame blending switch
3. right click layer frame blending-frame mix

or...
try the old Panasonic DVX-100 method which created more judder than standard 3:2 pulldown using 2:3:3:2 instead of 2:3:2:3.

1. use cinema tools to pulldown 23.976 to 29.97 with (2:3:3:2). It will look super juddery.

Return to posts index

Ike Hanson
on Feb 12, 2016 at 6:34:18 am

Good idea with the frame blending, perhaps I'm thinking of 30fps footage that's been made viewable on 25fps PAL systems, or even 60i to 50i? Those shows that have been converted like that have that frame blended look to them, I would think that using a method such as this would create a similar look, but would frame-blending work on every frame?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]