ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

composition borders with CC fast blur

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Fostercomposition borders with CC fast blur
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 6:25:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a while now, and I guess I don't know the keywords but I can't find any solution. I'm sure this is a topic that you're tired of seeing now, but I honestly can't find the answer.

I have a solid that I masked and added a blur to, the blur reaches the border of the composition and when I move the center around it's clear where the edge is. I'd like to create a borderless composition, if that's possible.

Here's a videolink:

thank you in advance.

-Foster

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: composition borders with CC fast blur
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 7:29:37 pm

If you just want to make the edges less distinct, select your solid and double-click the Rectangle Tool. This will add a mask around the edges of your solid. Then hit the "m" key twice to open your mask options and decrease the mask expansion. Then add some mask feathering. It will blend until you hit the edge of your solid and then you will see the clear edge. If that happens, either decrease the mask expansion more or increase the overall size of your solid.

Return to posts index

Michael FosterRe: composition borders with CC fast blur
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 8:51:23 pm

I considered adding a mask edge feather, if that's what you're saying. It still would look boxed in, honestly. I need it to bleed into the entire area.

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: composition borders with CC fast blur
by on Feb 11, 2016 at 7:30:40 pm

I'm not quite sure what those layers are doing, but I assume they're moving when you move the point around. If the whole layer moves then the edge of the layer will be visible and that's what you're seeing. Again, I don't know exactly how you have that set up, but it looks like you could try starting with layers much bigger, then when you move then, you wouldn't see the edge of the layer until you moved it much farther. I assume there's some way to move whatever you have on the layer instead of moving the layer itself but without understanding how everything works it's impossible to say. If I could open your project, I might be able to figure it out. What tutorial did you watch to do this?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 11, 2016 at 8:56:40 pm

RIght, I have all the layers position parented to the controller point. I am moving the layers. Yes. I'm more experienced in Photoshop where these issues don't exists.

Is there a way I can edit the size of the solid object layers? I didn't get a prompt when creating them, which is why I didn't make them bigger in the first place.

This is the tutorial I followed:

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2016 at 12:58:27 am

UPDATE:

So I scaled up the two solid layers with the additive masks so I could move them freely without encountering the borders. However, this made the masks pix elated and unusable. How often do people pull their hair out working with after effects?

:)

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: composition borders with CC fast blur
by on Feb 12, 2016 at 2:34:42 am

OK, yeah. In the tutorial, none of the manually created parts of the flare exist outside the layer, the masks are all within the boundaries of the layer, thus when they move the layer, you can't see the edges. In your example, it looks like you made your masks bigger than the layers, or at least blurred beyond the edges. When you make your flare, make it small enough that all the parts fit on the screen, you can scale it up afterward.

[Michael Foster] "How often do people pull their hair out working with after effects?"

My office often looks like a hair dresser's booth. We have someone who's job it is to keep the floor swept.

For real though, After Effects (or any job in this field) is all about problem solving. Your ability to problem solve, often times googling or asking questions at places like the Cow, will determine how far you go with the program.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 12, 2016 at 2:42:13 am

Appreciate it. Seems like a workflow issue. I'll get the hang of it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]