ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Filling 3D objects with pattern

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vitaly GoncharovFilling 3D objects with pattern
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 11:00:39 am

Hello!
I have an 3D object made in classic 3D mode. For example it is sofa.

So I have in this precomp about 36 objects (just a simple rectangle tool). I want to fill all these shapes with some pattern like this.

Of course I can use track matte, but because of it I will need to make 36 another objects (36 patterns). Maybe another solution? Maybe I can fill all shapes with pattern?

Return to posts index

Kuljeet SinghRe: Filling 3D objects with pattern
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 11:51:41 am

you cannot fill it directly in AE like in PS, just compose the 36 objects. Let the Pattern layer to track matte the Compo of 36 objects.

hope it helps

Return to posts index

Vitaly GoncharovRe: Filling 3D objects with pattern
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 12:12:10 pm

If I'll do this, I'll get a flat 2D image with contours of 3D object. That's absolutely not I want.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Filling 3D objects with pattern
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 12:47:59 pm

I'm not going into why would you try something like that in AE in the first place. But still there are severall possible solutions and each will depend on how you want it to look. Noone is ideal though.

Are the sofa parts solids or shape layers? Do you need the pattern to match in each/some connections?

for solids I would replace them with 36 another compositions so I could align things with more control.

for shapes I would duplicate the texture 36 times and link each to a shape. Then set the shapes as mattes for the textures.

Ideally, in AE, I would make a large composition with the pattern repeatted and "bend" masked parts of it to that sofa shape. So the pattern would be better matched as if it had and uv map.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Vitaly GoncharovRe: Filling 3D objects with pattern
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 1:38:05 pm

I have already used solution with matte.
But I'm surprised that AE still doesn't have an option "fill with pattern". Track matte is just temporary fix, but it's unnormal.

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Filling 3D objects with pattern
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 4:02:56 pm

Though I see your need for it on that case, fill with pattern is nothing more than precomposing and adding a layer on top. No reason to be a menu command just for it.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]