ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How would I get these composition settings?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver SaintilienHow would I get these composition settings?
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 3:08:46 am

I have a project that must be created in 1080P version, 25fps, in 2.35:1 and 1.78:1 aspect ratios.

And also in 1080i version, 29.97 fps, 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

How do I create 1080i vs 1080p in After Effects?

I know how to set the frames per second.

How do I get these aspect ratios while maintaining the 1080 size?

Thank you for you time.

Return to posts index

Kuljeet SinghRe: How would I get these composition settings?
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 6:21:20 am

hi

Just create a new composition with (2.35 * your original compo’s width) & move all your work into it.
or you can also give try to built in aspect ratio options in Adobe Media Encoder, while maintaining the 1080p.

I hope it will help.

Return to posts index

Oliver SaintilienRe: How would I get these composition settings?
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 8:39:15 am

Thank you for the speedy response. Here is a video screen share that I just recorded. Can you explain to me why when I change the pixel aspect ratio to something like HDV 1080 or DVC Pro, why do those two numbers to the right change and not the two number where it says lock aspect ratio. I understand that 16:9 is the standard HD ratio but what is that number that is next to 16:9 inside the parenthesis the(1.78) number, where it says Frame Aspect Ratio?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2016 at 8:40:14 am

https://osaintilien55-gmail.tinytake.com/sf/NDg0NjI0XzI1ODQzNjI

Return to posts index

Kuljeet SinghRe: How would I get these composition settings?
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 10:46:59 am

numbers against the lock aspect ratios are your canvas size & below one is the aspect ratio of your frame.
whatever the value you enter there change the aspect ratio of your frame not of your canvas.
so to simply change the canvas size, just untick the lock aspect ratio & change the value 1920 to 2538. you will see now you 2.35 aspect ratio.
you can also do the same thing while rendering in adobe media encoder. which helps to easily change the output based on the aspect ratio you need.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2016 at 1:00:22 pm

Great thanks for the explanation. It was just confusing to me when the client asks for 1080p but at various aspect ratios like 2.35:1, 1.78:1. So what I understand now is that the height remains the same ,the 1080, however it is the width that you use to obtain the certain aspect ratio needed. Hopefully my understanding is correct. Thanks again

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: How would I get these composition settings?
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 1:09:48 pm

I'm not sure you should change the width like that to get that Aspect ratio. You probably need to crop down your height. And I'm almost sure you don't need to do anything but find the right preset while exporting and let the encoder do the croping for you.

1920x818 makes far more sense than increasing width.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: How would I get these composition settings?
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 1:15:37 pm

On a second thought maybe you can't crop in adobe media encoder (I just looked for the option and coundn't find). So I guess you'll need to crop the heigh in AE to get that aspect ratio.

But I still stand with what I said about not changing width.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2016 at 1:38:12 pm

Thank you for you input, the project requires an output at various sizes two of which I will list below,

1080p version, 25 fps, in 2.35:1 and 1.78:1 aspect ratios
1080i version, 29.97 fps, 1.78:1 aspect ratios

Since the 1080 in 1920 by 1080 is being listed. Doesn't it make sense to change the width while maintaining the requested height? Or is there something I am missing here?

Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: How would I get these composition settings?
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 3:15:39 pm

[Oliver Saintilien] "Since the 1080 in 1920 by 1080 is being listed. Doesn't it make sense to change the width while maintaining the requested height? Or is there something I am missing here?"

Once you make this wider than 1920 px, it can't fit in a standard HD frame anymore. You probably want to letterbox your 2.35:1, 1920x818 image inside of a 1920x1080 raster so that it conforms to broadcast standards.

As for the interlacing, you need to turn Field Rendering on in your Render Settings from Ae's Render Queue.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: How would I get these composition settings?
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 3:20:17 pm

Hi Oliver,

Whatever you do, don't change the "Pixel Aspect Ratio", you want to leave that set to 1.0 square pixels. Anything else is known as "anamorphic" such as HDV or DVCPRO and you don't want that for delivery, will look squished.

Your "aspect ratio" will be controlled by changing the height and width dimensions, and not the "pixel aspect ratio" (the shape of the pixels).

That said, double check with the person making these requests of you. Maybe they actually want 1920x1080, but with letterboxing providing the different aspect ratios?? Because how is the video being delivered/played? If you are making a Blu-ray for instance, you can't use odd sizing, would have to be 1920x1080 or 720p (1280x720) and then you would simply have black letterboxing of the content within, rather than physically changing the size of the video frame itself.

And of course if you are cropping to something other than 16:9 then part of the original image is going to get cut off! Who determines what goes? Meaning how to frame the crops?

This is just odd that someone else (not the editor) is dictating these delivery aspect ratios. Really, if you want to deliver a "cinematic" aspect movie, this should be planned for from the start. Meaning you have crop markers on the on-set monitor and shoot the video to stay withing those areas. You can't frame and shoot as 16:9 and then crop that much off later without issues. The framing gets messed up.

Next question - what frame rate is the source footage? And 1080i or 1080p? You're delivering both PAL and NTSC frame rates, and conversion can be an issue. There are different methods available, not my area of expertise, but done incorrectly does not look good!

Good luck with all this

Jeff

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2016 at 8:59:58 pm

Thanks for the reply all. @Jeff It is just a simple 5 sec logo animation for a movie company no actual footage. I am anticipating the animation will be played before their movies begin. And I will take your advice and definitely not change the pixel aspect ratio.

Return to posts index

Jeff PuleraRe: How would I get these composition settings?
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 9:02:45 pm

Okay, that makes a lot more sense now. However, it would be best to get clarification from them about the resolution desired for delivery. My guess, since they *requested* 1080p for instance, is that the deliverable will be 1920x1080 (1.0 Pixel Aspect) and the content will then have black letterboxing to provide the desired crop factor, rather than providing an odd resolution.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]