ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Make 24p look like 30 frames per second?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew MatthewsMake 24p look like 30 frames per second?
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 11:08:38 pm

Hey everyone,

I've got some footage shot at 23.98 that I'd like to make look like bad 80s video. I know a lot of degradation techniques, but struggling a bit with getting it to look like it's 30fps. (I know it would have been way easier just to shoot it that way, but the producers didn't know then they were going to take it in this direction.)

Right now I'm just using After Effects' frame blending, which is okay. I've heard that you can use Timewarp to get more fine tune control over the Pixel Motion process, but unfortunately I don't know how to tell Timewarp to do what I want. It looks like you can only input a speed adjust, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Seeing as how any TV you buy these days can do this so-called "soap opera effect" (motion interpolation) on the fly, it seems like something I should be able to find a quick fix for.

I've also heard Twixtor does this, but that's unfortunately not in the budget right now. If anyone has any tips or alternate methods for this, I'd love to hear them! Like I said, I'm doing a lot of degradation as well, so it doesn't have to be a perfect method.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Make 24p look like 30 frames per second?
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 11:21:42 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 8, 2016 at 11:29:43 pm

Well, you could conform the frame rate to 29.97 in the Interpret Footage settings, but it would also speed the video up a little bit. We don't know it that would be good or not. It could be a very bad thing if you need lip-sync to audio.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Make 24p look like 30 frames per second?
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 11:57:05 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Feb 9, 2016 at 12:06:35 am

1. leave video interpretation as default, drop video into higher fps comp. turn on frame blending switch, Choose Layer > Frame Blending > Pixel Motion.
if that isn't smooth enough, try step 2,3,4.

2. inside premiere, interpolate the frames. frame blending on or optical flow(which is now natively supported in premiere)

"Exporting time interpolated media
The Time Interpolation setting in the Export Settings dialog box (File > Export > Media) allows you to change the frame rate of the exported file by leveraging Optical Flow to interpolate the missing frames."

you have to render out to see the optical flow. it won't playback in the timeline.

3. in after effects, this method gives control over quality, smoothness and masking(if tearing occurs, precomp a masked video), although the setup is a little tricky.

precompose a video as its own fps. if video is interlaced, it needs to be placed in double its fps comp or deinterlaced first.

drop that precomp into a new 30 fps comp, right click timestretch 50%
then apply timewarp 50% to the precomp.

That will create,decimate and average movement long as both numbers match(the timestretch and the timewarp #). The higher the number, the more interpolation at a cost of softness. filter-extreme will reduce softening of the image, but at a huge cpu cost.

here's an example from 18 to 23.976. just change 18 to 23.976 and 23.976 to 30fps comp.

4. compressor or fcp optical flow
Best High quality motion compensated

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved