ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Work Area Randomly Disappears

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason SchoenfeldWork Area Randomly Disappears
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 9:13:10 pm

I'm having an unusual problem ever since the last CC update. My entire composition (the canvas work area) will randomly disappear. Everything else is fine. Timeline with all the elements are fine. It's just the viewable area that vanishes. If I scrub through the animation everything returns (although it flashes on and off), but I'll go to move something on the canvas (a mask for example) and the whole area disappears. I'll go and scrub the timeline, or save it, or change a setting and everything reappears only to have the area disappear the minute I move my mouse back over the canvas.

Really, really frustrating as I basically can not work. I've restarted my computer multiple times; changed view settings; pretty much been trying everything for the last 3 hours and still get the same thing. Seems lately, Adobe introduces one or two new issues every time they update AE.

Anyone had this before?

Any help is appreciated.

Jason

I'm using:
late 2012 iMac
8gb memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB

with AE cc2015

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Work Area Randomly Disappears
by on Feb 8, 2016 at 10:47:44 pm

What specific version of Ae CC 2015?

Does it make a difference if you change your Preferences > Display > "Hardware accelerate Composition, Layer and Footage Panels" setting?

Ae CC 2015 is a major re-architecture of After Effects, modernizing some fundamental inner workings of Ae. Remember, too, that the file format has not changed since Ae CC 2014, so you can always download the previous version and stick with that if 2015 does not yet suit your workflow.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jason SchoenfeldRe: Work Area Randomly Disappears
by on Feb 13, 2016 at 4:45:35 am

Thanks for the quick reply Walter - sorry it took so long to get back. I tried checking the "Hardware accelerate Composition, Layer and Footage Panels" and it still does the same thing. I may have to download the 2014 version and work with that.

Jason

Return to posts index

Johnny LuuRe: Work Area Randomly Disappears
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 10:21:18 pm

Hey Jason,

I'd been experiencing the same thing intermittently with my 2009 Mac Pro with GT 120 cards.

What seems to have solved the problem for me is updating the graphics card drivers from the Nvidia website.

Because my set up is so old, I just didn't think to do that. Perhaps I got lucky but it's worth a shot.

Johnny ^_^

Return to posts index

Jason SchoenfeldRe: Work Area Randomly Disappears
by on Feb 13, 2016 at 4:48:33 am

Thanks for the reply Johnny. I went to Nvidia's site and it said there were no new updates to the drivers for my card. I may have reinstall 2014 and see if that works any better.

Jason

Return to posts index

Johnny LuuRe: Work Area Randomly Disappears
by on Feb 13, 2016 at 9:54:26 am

That's frustrating because the desktop version of your graphics card does have recent updates for El Capitan.

A quick google search shows that El Capitan and the NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB don't seem to get along too well under certain circumstances.

Perhaps an email to Nvidia to find out if there is one coming?

Until then 2014 is your best option to just be able to get on with working.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]