ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Sprite/Image orientation towards camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex TsekotSprite/Image orientation towards camera
by on Feb 7, 2016 at 11:05:39 am

Hello there, new user here

I've been searching around the Cow for solutions to my issue but so far no avail

The current project I'm working on requires a camera fly through several specific images in a sequence. The client wants these images to always face camera (like a sprite, without any distortion).

I've done the camera move in 3D(maya) and used null objects which the camera looks at as it moves through the scene. The camera and nulls have been baked and exported into After Effects so now what I'm trying to do is attach the specific images to their corresponding nulls. I've used Particular to create each individual sprite but I'm running into a problem.

The images come quite close to the screen and need to be crisp so they have to be quite large in size, there are 37 images in the sequence and because each image needs to be a specific one outlined by the client, I have to duplicate each solid that has a particular effect applied to it and because there are 37 of them the scene quickly becomes extremely slow and almost impossible to work with.

Is there any other workarounds for getting sprites to work? I've also tried plexus but I'm running into the same slowdown issues as particular.

Appreciate any help!

Return to posts index

Kalle KannistoRe: Sprite/Image orientation towards camera
by on Feb 7, 2016 at 4:39:22 pm

I would look into the option of using 2D layers and getting the screen coordinates of the nulls for the position (expression) and using the distance from camera to calculate the scale (expression).

If you need 3D interaction (layers changing in z-depth) that is not possible this way, you could use 3D layers with this auto-orient expression from Dan Ebberts:

(second post in thread)

Return to posts index

Alex TsekotRe: Sprite/Image orientation towards camera
by on Feb 7, 2016 at 6:29:21 pm

Oh wow that expression really does work, thank you so much for the link, I'm saved!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved