ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rendering time comparison

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yeikel valdesRendering time comparison
by on Feb 6, 2016 at 6:04:28 am

I've been testing the rendering time for a project between my computer and my server , and surprisingly , my local computer is a lot faster than the server.

I am trying to understand how this is possible and what can I do to take advantage of all the power of my server.

I am using After Effects CC 2015 , aerender.exe to render and this is my output configuration :

My personal computer is the following :

And My server :

Now , the rendering time for the same project,codecs and overall configuration are the followings :

Personal Computer : 4.45 Mins
Server : 16.8 min

I understand that I have a graphic card on my personal computer , but I am still trying to understand if the results I am getting are normal compared to the hardware I am using in both computers.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Rendering time comparison
by on Feb 7, 2016 at 6:19:19 pm

1) Your desktop's renders may be accelerated by the disk cache, if that's the system you've been working on. For a better performance comparison, "Edit > Purge > All memory & disk cache" before render.

2) To really exploit the server's advantages (cores + RAM), you need to enable multiprocessing in Ae, which means rendering with with Ae CC 2014 (v13.2) or lower. Ae is in the middle of a large architectural transition right now, and Ae CC 2015 doesn't yet exploit systems like this as well as it could.

3) Ae renders almost exclusively on the CPU. The GPU doesn't really matter to rendering performance, unless you are using the ray-tracing renderer, or unless you are specifically using a third-party, GPU-accelerated plugin.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

yeikel valdesRe: Rendering time comparison
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 2:07:45 am

Hello and thank you for your suggestions.

I tried all your suggestions , but it really did not see any difference. To illustrate what I tried. This is the current configuration on my server :

This is the output config :

Now , the configuration on my personal computer (with all cache cleared and same output settings) :

And once again :

My computer :

Server :

For me it does not make any sense , but I hope to be missing something. Hopefully a codec or so.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved