ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can Someone Please Tell Me How to Do This Zoom Effect???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Rickert
Can Someone Please Tell Me How to Do This Zoom Effect???
on Feb 6, 2016 at 2:07:54 am

So by the looks of it, this forum seems quite sophisticated in terms of editing and it's relatively realistic as opposed to what I'm about to bring up. Now I know a lot of people hate this type of stuff or some don't care/know about it, but it is about ANIME. I like to edit anime and make AMV's or just anime-edits. However I'm pretty sure this effect can be done outside of anime so it really shouldn't bother you. I'm just using this ANIME clip as a reference. I would really appreciate it if someone here could explain to me how to do this effect or where I can find a video/post on how to do it. It's been bugging me for months.

clip Examples:
https://vine.co/v/iJ6jvwjWbBE
https://vine.co/v/iJO7LJVzjWA
https://vine.co/v/iJ6JhwFJiQt

So in each of these clips, there is a frequently used zoom effect and its sorta super exaggerated but it's almost simple and it's rather quick. I don't know how they do it but it just looks so amazing. Also while we're on the topic, each clip has like a subtle camera movement where it sorta sways like someone holding a camera would do if they were holding it (seeing as we can't keep it perfectly still using our hands) and I have no idea how to achieve this effect other than using wiggle but I rather not go through the trouble of using that.
Anyway if someone could PLEASE explain how to achieve this super cool looking zoom effect I would be so happy :) I believe the sorta of "bouncy" motion it has is made by using keyframe speed adjustments through the graph but even if that's so, I'm not very familiar with using it and no matter how hard I try, I can pull off the general motion but it's usually super choppy. (Also please don't say that just slapped on easy ease for the keyframes because that's not what they did :P)

Return to posts index

Brian Rickert
Re: Can Someone Please Tell Me How to Do This Zoom Effect???
on Feb 6, 2016 at 4:10:18 am

Also, if no one knows how to accomplish this but maybe knows how I can pursue this, that information would also be helpful :P

Return to posts index

Theo Buchinskas
on Feb 6, 2016 at 5:19:52 am

These are literally jump cuts. The content itself zooms in an out right before/after the cuts. To do this in AE would be really simple, apply a 5-10 frame zoom into a piece of footage, cut, and the same zooming out of the following.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Feb 8, 2016 at 3:49:06 pm

While you could do this in AE, it would be easier to do it in Premiere. After Effects is not video editing software, but Premiere Pro is.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Foster
on Feb 12, 2016 at 3:17:24 am

I have the exact same question.

Yes, its a basic zoom out/jump cut. However, there's an organic feel to the work.

I'm trying to get the same organic feel to my work right now. I vaguely remember there being a way to ramp values from one keyframe to another. Almost like an asymptote. The zoom they're doing isn't just a basic zoom, it starts off really fast and gets slower, and I could be wrong, but almost goes back in at the very in for maybe 1 or 2 frames to give it almost a bounce.

I've been looking for a few hours now, and can't find it. A work around would to be just keyframe the zoom a million times, and copy and paste, but even then I'm not convinced that it would turn out great. But I'd like to know if there's a way to ramp values/keyframes if anyone does, and will be of course be happy to share if I find it first. :)

Happy hunting.
-Foster

Return to posts index

Michael Foster
on Feb 12, 2016 at 7:09:25 am

Hi again!

I finally figured out how to get the organic keyframe feel. It's called easy-in easy-out or, easy-ease. (basically the same thing)

You can get to this by right clicking the keyframe, and in the menu go to keyframe assistant. There you will find the functions.

Use these when doing the jumpcuts and zooming out. Also, a compositionally-wide motion blur might help. But just play around with it until you get something you like.

-Foster

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]