ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Settings for AE comp when burning to DVD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph ThomasSettings for AE comp when burning to DVD
by on Feb 5, 2016 at 11:32:26 pm

See if someone can help me with this. I create a nice animation in AE and when I burn it to a DVD it looks crappy. It crops 25% off the video, It looks aliased and blotchy. On my 27" I-Mac, it looks fantastic(I know it's a superior monitor). I also have an Acer monitor and it's lighter and more washed out on it, but not as bad as a burned DVD. I've used Wondershare DVD creator, I-DVD and others. I 've used QUICKTIME with a PRO RES 422L,h.264 and other formats. All get the same result.
Are there settings in AE that are more conducive to making a DVD? Again on computers it looks like it should, not with DVD's Does anyone have that problem with DVD's? Why would a 1920x1080 animation appear cropped on a HDTV? I have 6 HDTV's assorted sizes and makes and 4 different monitors. I've used every picture size and style on the TV's to no avail.
Does anyone have any other advice when burning animations to a DVD? If not who could I write at Creative Cow to help me with this problem?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Settings for AE comp when burning to DVD
by on Feb 6, 2016 at 12:24:06 am

if you are only going to make a dvd from the comp, then you could work in the ntsc dv widescreen comp preset (or the ntsc dv widescreen 23.976, if you wanted 24p).

if you wanted to also have an hd version of the comp, then work in the hd standard that you prefer, and then to make the sd media for a dvd, you could just drop the hd comp into the dv widescreen comp and choose, layer>transform,>fit to comp width and then render that sd comp.

for codecs, ultimately the dvd will use mpeg-2, but i'd suggest rendering to a high quality codec like prores 422, and then let the dvd authoring software convert that to mpeg-2.

Kevin Camp
Art Director

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: Settings for AE comp when burning to DVD
by on Feb 10, 2016 at 10:04:31 pm

If you are really using DVD's and not Blu-Rays, and you are formatting for video DVD's, you are taking a large resolution hit. DVD is a standard def format. If you are not outputting an NTSC DV widescreen file, the DVD authoring software may assume your content is 4:3 aspect ratio, making matters worse.

Dell Precision T7600 (x2)
Win 7 64-bit
Adobe CC 2014 (as of 7/2015)
256GB SSD system drive
4 internal media drives RAID 5
Typically cutting short form from HD MP4 and P2 MXF.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved