ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Particle effect and double exposure.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christopher crossParticle effect and double exposure.
by on Feb 5, 2016 at 4:39:28 pm

So I have to ideas for a video project I have coming up, and I am having trouble finding any really good tutorials that really do a good job on both subjects.

One is I am trying to recreate the particle effect at seen in this amazing video that starts at 2:22(NSFW by the way). the whole video is amazing. I am just wondering how to track the particles to follow a point or position like in the video. I want to do this on the side of a face slowly moving across camera. I am assuming they are probably using particular or some other plug in.

second, i am trying to recreate some of the double exposure seen in this video and much like the true detective intros. The trouble I am having is getting the layers to mesh well so its clear that double exposure is happening. There are a couple of ok tutorials for this but nothing on the level of the video I have show here or true detectives.

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Particle effect and double exposure.
by on Feb 5, 2016 at 5:47:43 pm

I'm not seeing links for any video examples...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

christopher crossRe: Particle effect and double exposure.
by on Feb 5, 2016 at 8:42:44 pm

sorry i am terrible about doing that.

there you go. thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris EvansRe: Particle effect and double exposure.
by on Feb 5, 2016 at 9:33:44 pm

So, the particle effect is probably the harder one. Lets take the hand in that video as an example. I'd take a shot of the hand on a green screen, then I'd put some sort of texture that has an edge like I want and use it as a luma matte for the hand. Then I'd take particular, put it underneath and make the emitter the same width as the hand with the particles the same color as the hand and adjust the physics to my liking. Pre-comp that whole thing in a big comp and put that comp in my main comp and animate the position. It's gonna take some time tweaking the contrast/color/masks/whatever of the texture and the hand and the particles to get it to look right.

For the double exposure, just take a shot of someone on a green screen, key them and use them as a alpha matte for the footage layer. The true detective intro has multiple layers of footage blended together with feathered masks and such as well so it looks a little more complicated, but it really isn't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved